NSA has direct access to tech giants' systems for user data, secret files reveal

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Dermot7, Jun 6, 2013.

1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

2. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Bingo.

3. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

4. mirimir

http://blog.fox-it.com/2015/04/20/deep-dive-into-quantum-insert/

Edit: There's also HoneyBadger from David Stainton, which Mike Perry thinks is better. See https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2015-April/037548.html

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

House Passes Cybersecurity Bill Despite Privacy Protests.

Related: House of Representatives Passes Cybersecurity Bills Without Fixing Core Problems

-- Tom

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  6. lotuseclat79

Senate moves to renew law allowing bulk telephone metadata collection.

-- Tom

7. lotuseclat79

How to Detect Sneaky NSA ‘Quantum Insert’ Attacks

-- Tom

8. driekus

driekus Registered Member

This is a very scary bill. A lot of people have concentrated on the sharing between government agencies. My concern is that it could lead to more sharing between companies that may be restricted from sharing information between each other.

For example assume Whatsapp prohibits sharing data with Facebook (http://mashable.com/2014/03/17/whatsapp-your-data-is-safe/). I am assuming that now if Facebook got caught doing this they could now claim legal immunity based on this law.

The scarier question is whether you could use this to bypass securities laws on insider trading. The law from my understanding is very vague on what information could be shared. What about share trading data and user data?

Am I reading too much into this?

9. mirimir

No, it's all worse than it appears :eek:

It's time to reread Brunner ;)

10. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

One of the core issues here is being overlooked. This creates separate laws and standards for government/business. If we as individuals share or exchange the same types of data that they're encouraged or required to, we're committing theft, piracy, etc. They've created double standards for those with money and power and the rest of us. Now this double standard is being written into law. Where this leads should be obvious to all.

11. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

12. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

70 bad exit nodes used in attack against Tor-based SIGAINT
    http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=18303

13. driekus

Still pondering incorporating myself so I have some rights. ;)

This law has increased the pace at which I am disconnecting my real world identity with anything that I do online.

These laws really hurt the US economy. Yes you have the tin foil hat people cease business with the US but who really cares as long as the general slaves still keep doing business. The real problem is that businesses are becoming hesitant and withdrawing from US companies (in particular IT).

Great for where I live, it is helping our economy even though we are probably not much better than the US.

14. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Yes.

It's my view that corporate entities will be treated much better under the "law" than will individuals. It's also my view that kickback against the over-reach is initially/primarily going to happen through corporations. After the Sony hack and similar, it seems irresponsible for directors of any company to be operating without encrypting at rest and in transit, by default. If some of them got personally sued by angry shareholders, that might focus some minds. I also think it's negligent of Data Protection authorities in many countries not to be demanding that for pretty much any company, with any category of data use.

15. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I wasn't referring to small businesses. These laws are for the corporate giants that have partnered with governments and eventually took control of them. As for the US economy, its very design has hurt it more than any laws. That design will eventually kill it. Modern business or Capitalism has to constantly grow and expand to prosper. When it isn't growing, the economy and people suffer. This planet has limited space, energy, and raw materials. Unending growth is impossible. The planet can't support it. Its grow or die design spelled its end as soon as it started. The only variable is when. The best we can do is not be under it when it collapses.
    That's been a trend for a long time. the IT industry is just getting more attention. Manufacturing left long ago. With it went the concept of making anything durable.

IMO, this law is just another symptom of what's coming. There isn't enough resources left to suit everyones wants. Industries and governments are teaming up, trying to get advantages and control over foreign competitors. Each wants what they consider their "fair share". For the USA, that means the entire planet.

16. mirimir

With some effort, and money for lawyers, it's possible to operate fairly anonymously. In particular, you can use private shipping services to bypass readily-observable mail services.

17. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

CitizenFour is on youtube, full.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFG-RNv1Izg

Be quick if you wanna watch it, I think they will remove it soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
  18. silat

silat Registered Member

The .01% and the large corporations have one rule of laws to work under and we have another.
    Guess who has the advantage.

19. Minimalist

NSA surveillance since Snowden revelations is strong as ever
    http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=18310

20. lotuseclat79

21. driekus

Lol and if you ask the general public they think Snowden started wikileaks and provided information to terrorists. Maybe we need rumors to start that the "Dick Pic" program exists (See John Oliver's Snowden interview)

22. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Airbus to sue NSA, German spies accused of swiping tech secrets • The Register

23. Minimalist

RSA president sceptical about government cyber-defence role
    http://www.techworld.com/news/secur...ns-governments-role-in-cybersecurity-3610085/

24. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

On a smaller scale, I'm utterly incensed by the sharing amongst the X-eyes, and Israel to boot - all unredacted - here, have a database copy stuff, I'm sure you're jolly good chaps and will only use if for counter-terrorism whatever that is. As a company, I have to jump through data protection hoops (actually, I welcome them, I think they're important) - and then find that my "friendly" neighbourhood TLA has just hoovered all the stuff up anyway, and shared with chums. Or facilitated their chums to hoover it up (then it's properly foreign), and kindly given it back again.

Espionage has always been over 50% economic spying, and passing around material relating to IP and patents which has been - unbeknownst, gathered and shared amongst many countries is extremely damaging. The trouble is a) proving it, you are likely not to know or be able to prove it and b) getting justice (ha!). Airbus might just get a few flickers of interest, but for the small fry, no justice at all. it's utterly bizarre when it's your own country that colluding in the assault.

I have no redress for harm.

25. mirimir

@deBoetie

It also struck me how utterly bizarre it was for Germany to intercept Airbus stuff, and give it to the US. I can only imagine that it was just the stupidity of sharing unredacted intercepts. I also recall reading that the NSA shares unredacted intercepts from domestic communications with the Five Eyes and Israel. And that includes intercepts from US government employees and officials. While the juicy stuff is no doubt encrypted, there's still the potential for major embarrassment ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.