NSA has direct access to tech giants' systems for user data, secret files reveal

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Dermot7, Jun 6, 2013.

1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

2. Countryboy15

Countryboy15 Registered Member

I wonder if, at any point in time during their work day, the people doing this stop and think about what it means for them and their families? What if their wives are the ones having their naughty photos siphoned up and shared across the building? What if their 13 year old daughter is having every one of her Facebook posts collected and stored away? I wonder if they really are so "patriotic" and believe in their duty so much that they have no issue with all of this happening to them too, all for the slight possibility they may catch something? They had all of these programs before, yet 9/11 still happened, Boston still happened. If they are bound and determined to capture and investigate every suspicious word or act online or over the phone, they will end up buried in useless data while real threats slip through the cracks. The human mind can be a very strange little thing, even at its most harmless. Couple it with a search engine and all sorts of weird things happen, even if they have not the slightest of malicious intentions.

All the NSA is doing is driving people to be even more suspicious acting in the hopes they gain some privacy back, which in turn makes legitimate investigations that much harder. I really wish they would understand this instead of constantly fighting back in court with vague arguments and "because we say so". I do not want to have to go through trying to encrypt every single keystroke I press or every word I will ever say. It is a pain in my hind end and just makes me miserable. But, if it is that or just let people I will never know or meet listen in on every phone call or collect every byte of data I create, then I will do it. This nonsense is forcing my hand and the hands of likely millions of others.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

5. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ds-personally-invested-in-obscure-tech-firms/

6. MrBrian

From the link in my last post:

7. lotuseclat79

Core Secrets: NSA Saboteurs in China and Germany.

-- Tom

8. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Love the sentence in the article regarding the Wyden meeting:

"Data localization also makes data potentially more accessible to foreign regimes that don’t respect the rule of law or even have a rule of law governing how or if they can access data"

What, like the US then?

9. deBoetie

Quite specifically, GCHQ is/were doing exactly that - with their webcam spying on Yahoo webchats, where they noted that the analysts were "distressed" about the number of explicit pictures and webchats. Sure they were. Or at least, they should have been distressed at the shocking basic immorality let alone unconstitutionality of what they are doing. Of course, the UK doesn't have a written constitution, nor apparent rule of law. But the US has one it ignores.

It's particularly egregious in the case of GCHQ, because one of the more notorious spies there, Geoffrey Prime, was only uncovered because of his paedophile activities with young girls, including meticulous record keeping and use of spy equipment. And they are collecting all this data and distributing it to thousands and thousands of people.

Regarding the pain in hind end, I have the same reaction. This is such a waste of time for everyone, and for anyone who cared or built up the internet, there are so many better life enhancing things we could and should be doing than defending against this illegal nonsense.

10. MrBrian

11. MrBrian

12. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

By Glenn Greenwald

UN Report Finds Mass Surveillance Violates International Treaties and Privacy Rights - The Intercept

13. mirimir

14. deBoetie

It would be great news if the blighters obeyed the rule of law. They don't.

15. Countryboy15

Countryboy15 Registered Member

You don't say? But, here is the problem, if one country tells another to stop the other country will say the same thing...and then everyone will shut up, walk away, and never argue about it again. No one wants to sacrifice their programs, especially if it means they cannot make sure that someone else is still doing it. It did not work for nuclear weapons programs, it will not work for this. The U.N is a joke anyway, so expect nothing of their finding.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  16. MrBrian

From Sentry Eagle:

17. MrBrian

18. mirimir

19. lotuseclat79

20. mirimir

21. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If I recall, that practice is documented in Snowden's releases.

22. mirimir

Really? Against US politicians? I missed that. I would have expected more angst over something like that ;)

23. noone_particular

It mentioned them doing it to those from other nations. That said, everything that was supposed to be used only on foreigners was found being used against citizens as well. Why would this be any different?

24. mirimir

Right.

Also, as I recall, the NSA provided unredacted intercepts on US citizens (including politicians) to some other nations (Five Eyes plus Israel, as I recall). So they could also blackmail US politicians ;)

25. noone_particular

Such blackmail would explain why no politician wants to attempt to reign them in or hold them responsible for their actions. They've all got dirty laundry they don't want aired. Just getting into office on a federal level requires backing from some big money interest, a backing they don't want their constituents to be aware of. The NSA and the big money interests they serve literally built the perfect system for controlling those who should be able to control them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.