nProtect Anti-Virus/Spyware 3.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by roger_m, Feb 11, 2015.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've just started using this, and am wondering if anyone can provide any opinions on it.

http://avs.nprotect.com/en/

It uses Bitdefender's scan engine, along with its own anti-virus and anti-spyware engines. Version 3 was originally release in 2011 or maybe even earlier, but it is reguarly updated. The most recent release was published a month ago. It has low, mid and high real time scan levels. I'm using the default "mid" setting and it is extremely light. Also, CPU use is isn't excessive when doing scans.

I like it becuase it is very light, has the option to not automatically quarantine files, and it is very easy to add threats to the ignore list. From the logs screen you can choose to ignore a detected threat.

On the downside, it seems that its Bitdefender definitions are a day old.

I am wondering if anyone has any opinions on this in terms of protection. I find the Bitdefender based Roboscan to be very light as well, but was not happy with the detection rate. Also unlike nProtect, Roboscan has not been updated in a long time.

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. aaa839

aaa839 Registered Member

nProtection Most popular is their "junk"Anti-Hooking GameGuard for Online Gaming:D:D:D
    but that was not BitDefender Engine

4. roger_m

I've just been running some on demand scans from the context menu and CPU usage is peaking at 51% (although a lot lower most of the time), and disk usage is peaking at about 15%. This is a good result as some antiviruses use well over 80% CPU at times. When opening my Downloads folder with hundreds of installers, CPU use is staying below 5%.

So, nProtect is very light indeed.

5. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Is it free?
    Not obvious on the website.

6. roger_m

@fblais It's not free, it's $30 a year, but as far as can tell, you can run it in lite mode without paying, where it won't remove any threats detected for as long as you like.

The purchase page on the nProtect website is in Korean, but there is an English langauge affiliate link to buy it at PCWorld.

7. roger_m

8. roger_m

I'm back to using v3 due to major issues with the v4, which myself and others have experienced. I've had no issues with v3 so far.

I am still interested to hear any other's thoughts on nProtect.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.