Now What ?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by TouchuvGrey, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TouchuvGrey

TouchuvGrey Registered Member

I hope this is the correct place to ask this, if not feel free to move it to the right forum. OK, TDS is gone <sob> It was in my opinion far and away the best Anti Trojan available. I already feel naked and undefended without it. What is the next best Anti Trojan ? Or is DCS going to come out with something equally good or better that will protect me from trojans ?

Mike

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

next best AT would be either ewido or boclean. and since TDS is discontinued i most seriously doubt theyll make another AT. if they did, why not just continue onwards and make TDS-4? maybe wormguard could provide some protection against trojans but its mostly for intercepting scripts. and pg intercepts hooks, drivers and program execution.

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi TouchuvGrey,

For sometime now, I have replaced TDS-3 real-time with Ewido as my real-time monitor. In addition, I augmented my security defenses with ProcessGuard and RegDefend. For this reason, I have only been using TDS-3 for on-demand scans about once a month.

I had considered looking at A-squared, but the pricing model is a bit high, for what I consider only a slight incremental gain in security. I tried it out a while ago, and unfortunately, I am no longer able to run trial versions of their latest releases to see if there is any substantial enhancements to their software. However, it is worth a look.

Rich

4. mainer

mainer Registered Member

I personally will not buy another antitrojan program. I am quite pleased with Nod32 antivirus and the advanced heuristics of the application. Just my two cents worth.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I've moved this over to the more "other ATs" forum where you will surely get much more input.

edited to change "AVs" to "ATs" :p Detox

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  6. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

wat there ill not be any tds-4??

and i think this is right that trojan hunter has the best detection and removel for trojanso_O?

7. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No, and there is no TDS-3 anymore too, read in TDS-3 forum.

8. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

do u know wat other programs they are talking about that they say will be better o_O?

9. blinky

blinky Registered Member

Sad to see TDS3 / 4 die but I'd switched to BOClean a while ago as my day to day AT protection.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I don't have experience with Ewido or Trojan hunter. However response from BOClean to inquiries via email is extremely rapid.

11. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Well I use Ewido and A squared. Might not be a TDS replacement but it works along side my AV.

12. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I think the 3.5 improvemnet over 3.0 was impressive. ( I am using it for on demand scanner so it is a different matter if you are using it for on access.)

Hopefuly ewido 4.0 will fill up the gap for TDS 4,...........

13. TouchuvGrey

Hmmmmm, looks like it's about evenly divided between Ewido and BoClean. I guess i will put one of them on one computer and the other on my # 2 computer and see which i like best. I'm still interested in seeing what the crew at Diamond CS has in store for us. Wayne telling us that the effort and research put into TDS-4 will not be going to waste sure seems like a hint of some sort to me.

Mike

14. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

Does Boclean and process guard place nice together?

15. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I get spikes on my machine when I run BOClean alongside ProcessGuard. This problem has been discussed on other threads. It is usually no big deal, but when I do something that is CPU intensive, I shut BOClean down. I do not have this problems when I run Ewido alongside ProcessGuard. I am using a 512MB, 2.5Ghz machine.

Rich

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

If you want to run on demand scans other than a single file scan then BOClean is not what you want. I have a Pentium 3 500mhz computer with 512mg of ram and it runs very light aling side Spybot 1.4, Adaware 1.6, and NOD32 2.50.25 Also you cannot trial BOClean without purchasing it. But I believe you can get a refund if you are not happy. Just go to their site and contact the developers and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  17. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I uninstalled TDS3 yesterday soon as we got the word from Wayne. I`m trying out Ewido right now and it works good along side PG and with ZA...along with a couple of more apps.

I don`t think I`ll purchase it though untill I see what Wayne has up his sleeve. :)

18. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Very much so :)

19. TouchuvGrey

I found out that BoClean has no free trial, sooooo i now have Ewido on one machine and A-squared on the other. I too will wait and see what DCS is going to unveil before i buy anything though. While looking around online i saw some good things about Trojan Hunter, opinions anyone ?

Mike

20. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Ewido currently has about 172,000 sigs in its definition file. How many does Trojan Hunter have? Not a fraction of that. Ewido has far greater range of coverage; if you have a half decent AV you don't really need TH.

I'm rather suprised by the tone of this thread which strongly implies that TDS3 was THE best and everything else second best. On what basis could TDS3 have been considered better than ewido 3.5? Did it have greater coverage? Was it better at cleaning machines infected with spyware related trojans? Was it better at keeping malware out?

In the greater scheme of things ewido 3.5 is better than TDS3, and now ex TDS3 users will have the opportunity of finding that out for themselves!

Yes, this is opinion BTW, but that is what was being asked for!

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I am at a loss of where in the world you pulled that out from having read\re-read all the posts....except for the reference in post # 20. Having said that....we all tend to toot our own horns on occasion in respects to our choice of software :)

22. TopperID

With respect Bubba may I suggest you reach for your reading spectacles and have a look at post #1 which reads:-

and post #2 which reads:-
    these set the tone for the rest of the post.

23. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi TopperID,

Since TDS-3 is out, I am thinking about trialing Ewido. How is it
    ressoucewise? Does it uses lots of memory?

Thanks

24. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Alrighty then....I'll leave my reading spectacles on instead of using my nit-pickin glasses next time....with all due respect :eek:

BTW....while you were observing....did you not notice that the tone of the thread was TDS....because it started in the TDS Forum....which included post # 1 and 2 :doubt: :blink:

25. TopperID

Hi Antarctica,

As always, your going to have to see how it plays on your particular set-up.

But looking at Task Manager I see that with me ewidoguard.exe has a Mem Usage of 19,230K and VM of 17,700K, while ewidoctrl.exe has Mem Usage of 2,170K and VM of 812K.

I hope that helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.