Now that Sygate is almoust gone...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Paul2, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver Registered Member

This is fairly typical of Symantec's business model. They bought Powerquest rather than do an upgrade of Norton Ghost. Probably, they have reached the end of the line with code based on the At Guard firewall and see some technology in Sygate's portfolio that looks attractive. Symantec really does not like to invent things in house. The original core of Symantec was purchased from Peter Norton and the AV came from IBM.

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Once upon a time, Norton AV seemed to be pretty good. I used it for a year, back in 1997 or 98 or so on a Windows 95 machine. Since then, I've read about and know too many people who have had various kinds of trouble with it. My son used it briefly on a new computer that came with it. He had endless problems until he finally got rid of it.

Other people, though, love it. Personally, I prefer not to take the chance with anything having Symantec on the box.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I concur. Buying someone else's ideas is alot easier than being creative yourself.
    Look at MS, nothing but a bank, that sells and buys softwares.

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I totally agree with you and also the others who say Sygate will evaporate into Symantec.

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Wow, there is not a whole lot for me to say you guys really got this topic nailed down. ;) :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.