Now that Opera is free with no ads, are you switching to Opera?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Pollmaster, Sep 20, 2005.

?

Now that Opera is free, are you switching?

1. Yes, it will now be my main browser

18 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Yes, it will now be my backup browser

27 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. Opera is already my main browser

44 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. No, I don't like Opera

31 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Maybe, I haven't tried it before.

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. I don't know

10 vote(s)
    6.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

2. M_S

M_S Registered Member

I got it on their birthday, and love it! In many regards even better than Firefox, though I'm keeping FF too!

3. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Well is FF your first choice or Opera?

In any case, FF has now a major competitor. Opera still isn't open source but that won't matter for most people.

I expect that this move will eat into some of firefox's browser share, particularly, the 'experienced but not programmer' types like many people here, but not the grandmother types who might find Opera a bit confusing.

4. M_S

M_S Registered Member

Opera has been my main browser since their birthday. But I do use FF sometimes, mostly because it's more familiar to me - and also because for some reason AdMuncher won't let me use Google from Opera (but it will from FF). Hey, how does a company make money when they make their main product free? Especially in the case of Opera, since they had ad revenue and paid customers - must have made loads... So what was their incentive to become free?

5. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

I am going to thoroughly test it before making it my main browser...but definitely I will use it as a backup browser. I wish it was customizeable like Firefox..I would specially like to something like 'Tabbed Browsing Preferences' extension in Opera. Also the download manager requires some work.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

It was well worth when paid, now even better when it is free, at least many will get to try and make it a well tested product.

7. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

And the cookies manager is strange. And you can't see passwords. and it's harder to add search engines.

Yeah, Opera is nice and fast, but I wish it had some of the features I got used to in firefox extensions.

I prefer tabmix to TBP myself.

Oh well, at least it has its own version of greasymonkey plus some sort of adfilter, which helps a bit to recover some of the functionality i'm used to with firefox.

8. squash

squash Registered Member

I am a Firefox user since 0.8... I have now converted to Opera!

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

10. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Jumped to Opera 3 weeks ago!........and loving it!

11. LokiLoki

LokiLoki Guest

I still like firefox because of all the customization you can make.
    And firefox 1.5 is much faster than before. (The beta seems to be working fine)

12. shek

shek Registered Member

I am a happy opera user and jumped to it from Firefox 3 months ago. It is really fast, small mem/cpu usage and stable. I will give it 4.5 out of 5, the reason is that there is compatibility issue with some websites. But it is not its fault. and that is the only time i will switch to firefox or ie.

shek

13. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Thank you Acadia, I understand fully how cookie handling in opera works.

What I mean is the interface is difficult to use, when you want to blacklist or whitelist cookies.

14. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Opera is a fine browser, but I generally prefer Firefox with all of the extensions available. I'll occassionally use Opera, however, just not as my main browser. It's also really no faster than Moox' Firefox build on my machine.

Pollmaster: thanks for the heads up on Tab Mix.. I hadn't seen that before, looks great.

15. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I have been trying to use Opera off and on. But it does seem to have a bit of a learning curve, moreso than FF imho. I keep saying (but still need to do it) is go through that 30 days to love Opera website. Perhaps once I do that, and get it configured the way *I* want, I may like it more.

On my system (just as Notok mentioned) the Moox build of FF is definitely faster at rendering pages. Maybe if I can learn some more about Opera, I will be able to configure it just as nice. Im still confused on how it handles cookies and the whole wand thing tho. :D :p

Cheers. :cool:

16. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I've got my mom's machine over here atm, I'll have to give her both to see what she thinks :)

17. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Before a complete switch, I think I'll wait for FF 1.5 to be released :D
    Opera is an excellent browser, I used it for quite some time before going full FF, so I'm just waiting for 1.5.

18. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I started to use it on their birthday my first break into a different browser from Avant.
    I thought I would only use it a little but I am using it 99% of the time and love it.

Considering testing FF when new version is out but so far for me I am pleased Opera had a birthday. I would not even test it when it had the ads.

19. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i prefer firefox but opera is nice and i wouldnt mind using it as a backup or alternative browser.

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

No time for Opera, I'm still reading the countless extensions of Firefox and Thunderbird :)

21. Get

Get Guest

Tried Opera before and tried it on the birthday and at first glance the only thing in favor of it is opening pages 1 milisecond faster than Firefox, but then you get the cookie-popup and there goes the advantage down the drain and where is the "Go"-buttono_O Please tell me I overlooked it and don't tell me it's an option :( . For me using Opera is only an option when it's configurable to work like Firefox and then what would be the point besides the milisecond?

22. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I have used Opera for quite a long time now. Before using Opera, I used Firefox from v0.7 to v1.0. I like Opera because it is simple, clear, and more polished. Personally, I do not favor those extensions of Firefox much.

23. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Opera is already my main browser ;)

24. rawr

rawr Registered Member

Might check it out since its free..

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Sticking with IE. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.