Now, let's talk some TOUR de FRANCE

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by slammer_JvA, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Regarding crowd control, I agree something does need to be done. :eek: What's keeping a fanatic from giving Lance a slight push? I understand he is not well liked in France. Some accuse him of using drugs, etc. (an accusation I believe is rediculous). But sooner or later some "fan" is going to get out of hand. Then what do you do? Restart the race? Stop everyone else until the victim is back on his feet? I'm just surprised there has not been an incident to date. :rolleyes:

Regarding Ms Crow, that's one thing I don't like about Lance - dumping his wife after she helped him beat the big "C". I don't know the whole story, but I sure don't like the headlines... :(

2. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

I frankly think they all use chemical enhancers of one sort or another. They've just become very sophisticated @ masking it from the testing labs. So, the playing field is "even" in that sense.

"Dumping" is a loaded word. No one outside a marriage or long-term relationship can know what goes on inside it. There are always 2 stories, neither of which is entirely true or false.

Anyway, back to cycling....tomorrow is the last torturous stage. Barring getting KO'd by a German flag waiver or some other drunken idiot, Lance should be getting ready for another triumphant ride into Paris on Sunday.

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Posted by D & C:
    "Crowd Control!" Maybe here in the states you have that, not across the pond. When the crowd doesn't like you, they move out into the road to increase your turn, increase your effort, they block visuals , they might even give you a push.

Mr. Armstrong has a "private contingent", though it would be inappropriate for them to display, after all, it's "their"event! Zoom, Zoom... ;)

4. Dazed_and_Confused

Maybe, but I'm not too sure "inappropriateness" is enough to disuade some whacko trying to ensure a Frenchman wins the event. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2004
  5. GlobalForce

Miss Daisy, there has not been a real contender from this country since the great Bernard Hinualt(spell check), teammate of our first "Tour Champion ", Greg LeMond(spell check). There is I'm sure, a sense of fair play exercised by the public, I mean you wouldn't want a victory by default now, would you? I'd rather lose on my terms than win on someone else's...

6. ssgtmax

I seem to recall LeMond beating Hinault by a mere 8 seconds in '89 or thereabouts. Amazing that a 2,000+ miles race could come down to such a narrow margin. It wasn't decided until the last time trial sprint into Paris on the final day. :ninja:

I think I heard LeMond taking some interview potshots @ Armstrong recently. I think there are HUGE egos/jealousies in the sport. Probably not much different from all highly competitive sports. :doubt:

7. ssgtmax

Oops :doubt: ....another AARP brain fade. Should never rely solely on memory. LeMond beat Laurent Fignon in '89!

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That's two mistakes you've made this year! What happened? :D

9. ssgtmax

I allow myself 2 a year. Now I have to really knuckle down thru the end of December! :cool: :D

10. GlobalForce

Posted by ssgtmax:
    You are correct. You can check out what led to this here . For a little insight surrounding the present tour, read what this man has to say.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good interview.

12. Dazed_and_Confused

Hey, Global Force!

I agree that not a single competitor in the race would want to win in this way. But I don't trust the general public to the same degree. I understand a german tourist spat on Lance just recently. While you and I would never dream of doing that to someone we didn't want to win, it just goes to show there are some real nuts out there.

13. GlobalForce

This shouldn't bother Superman.

14. ssgtmax

That yellow jersey is spit-proofed.... :D ;)

15. GlobalForce

Happy to oblige.

16. Dazed_and_Confused

Watched today's event on TV. Looks like Lance and other leaders enjoyed a comfortable ride today. Not much racing.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. ssgtmax

Beginning with his dominance of the event in '99, the final Tour stages following the mountains have pretty much become Lance Victory Laps.
    Thought it was kinda funny today when he blasted out of the peloton pack, caught up to the breakaway riders to say "howdy" & then eased back to the pack again. Just showin' off, I guess.... :eek: :D

19. Dazed_and_Confused

That is confusing. Ronjor posted a link to a very informative site. It seems that Lance didn't want a particular rider breaking away from the peloton. After catching him, he apparently talked him back to the peloton. It sounds as if he was saying to this other rider - you don't have a chance in he** of winning, so back off and take it easy today. I don't understand why, though.

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

he caught up because he hates the Italian rider simmioni(?spelling)who was in the group(the italian is taking him to court,for something to do with calling him a liar)
    The Italian wanted to win a stage to say thank you for the support he has had from his team,concerning this.And Lance made him leave the break-away group and go back to the pack with him.
    EDIT[ sorry i ment to quote Daisy

21. Dazed_and_Confused

Very interesting, iceni60! I'm going to have to read up on this. :)

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

23. Dazed_and_Confused

Very nice, iceni60! ;)

Now a question regarding the following quote from the article above.

"In what was one of the most bizarre incidents of the race - the race leader rarely chase down attacks, leaving it to more lowly teammates..."

Why does the race leader rarely chase down attacks? How does one get to be a race leader if he is not intersted in leading? Can someone explain bicycling tactics please? o_O

24. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

he rides with his team-mates, but they do all the work, he slipstreams them. he doesnt go to the front. he has the best team because they are all great riders in their own right; and they never leave him. ie get involed in a break-away group, like they do in other teams. on the mountain stages the weaker riders in his team started the pace-setting, and dropped to the back as they couldnt maintain the pace-setting, and so on. until it was just Lance left.

25. Dazed_and_Confused

OK. But why let a teammate catch the breakaway group? What happens then? In that case, the breakaway group just gets one person larger, right? The original breakaway group + Lance's teammate that chased them down. How does that help Lance who in this scenario stays back in the Peloton? o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.