Novice (somewhat) needs direction

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by mistertim, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistertim

mistertim Registered Member

Howdy! I'm technically literate but a novice to, ahhhh, spyware... You've probably dealt with this before, but my problem is driving me nuts, and so I'm turning to experts. I use W98SE. Somehow, somewhere the scourge of Teknum was loaded onto my computer. Could have been that I did it, but I'm very careful about what I download. Anyway, I am experiencing a very interesting condition. I use a program called RegCleaner v 4.3. I'm fairly dangerous playing with my registry. I use the RegCleaner program to monitor what's going on. Here's the condition; let's say I launch RegCleaner. I get the listing, everything's fine, I close the program. NOW, if I were to delete a file, ANY file, and then re-launch RegCleaner, it will show an entry has been made in my registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Teknum Systems. I can delete this registry entry, reboot the machine, launch RegCleaner, look at the list, and sure enough, the Teknum registry entry is gone, and it stays gone until I delete a file. I suspect an insidious executable is lurking about, but I just can't figure out the name. So far as I can tell, I have successfully eliminated everything Teknum related from my machine, that is, until I delete a file, and a registry entry is automatically made. Hmmmmmm... what do you think? And many thanks for your patience and time... =Tim=

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.