NotScripts for Google Chrome - "NoScript" Like Blocking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Doritoes, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doritoes

Doritoes Registered Member

Hey guys, so I was successful in making a pretty good "NoScript" clone for Google Chrome like I said a few weeks back!

It's called NotScripts, and you can test it out by downloading it from it's Google Chrome extension page: https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/odjhifogjcknibkahlpidmdajjpkkcfn

Please follow the instructions to set a password for NotScripts after you install. It is required.

You can read more details about NotScripts at my website: http://optimalcycling.com/

I will be writing up more posts about how I got the "NoScript" like functionality to work. It's pretty clever, I developed a method of intelligent HTML5 storage caching to over come the fact that Google Chrome content scripts are totally asynchronous.

Note that this isn't a perfect "NoScript" replica, but it is a MAJOR stepping stone.

If you guys have trouble, make a post here.

2. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I tried this with SRWare Iron browser and it wouldn't recognise I'd set a password. It installed ok - though it didn't allow scripts temp/globally when clicked. I tried it on this website http://www.justin.tv/

Is this only compatible with Chrome?

3. Doritoes

I haven't tried it with SRWare Iron, only with Google Chrome 5 and 6. Did you restart the browser after you set the password in the file? That needs to happen for the extension to get reloaded.

Alternatively, you can just download the extension to your desktop and then unzip it, change the password, and load that into your browser as an unpacked extension. However, doing this means that you won't receive any automatic updates for NotScripts because it won't be recognized as the same extension.

I will give SRWare Iron a try in a VM in a bit.

4. Doritoes

Ok, I just tried the latest version of SRWare Iron and it works with NotScripts just like regular Chrome. I think your problem might be that you didn't set a password that was at least 20 characters. Your password must be 20-100 characters in length, save the file, and restart the browser. Otherwise, that options page will keep showing up on each start saying you didn't set a password. You will also see that message in the url icon drop down menu.

5. Keyboard_Commando

Hey Doritoes, I just tried it again - I read the instructions right through (this time). I didn't have a password of 20 characters minimum, so my bad - the password length must have been the reason it wouldn't load as everything seems to be working ok now. I just tried on the website I posted and its working good. Page reloaded when clicking scripts enabled.

So working with SRWare Iron.

6. Keyboard_Commando

Bingo! You hit the nail on the head!

7. Keyboard_Commando

I noticed if you have multiple browser instances open they don't have individual no scripting ability. Will this be a feature?

Just the other day I was searching around for a Noscript type extension for Chrome & SRWare Iron browsers so this is welcomed.

Thanks.

8. Doritoes

What type of "multiple browser instances" are you referring to? I use multiple profiles in Google Chrome with the --enable-udd-profiles flag and I can run multiple instances without any conflicts since they are all separate and cannot interact with each other.

9. Keyboard_Commando

EDIT, I fixed it.

Temp Allow all on this page, I meant. Just for the one page

Ha, sorry I am watching a football match and playing around with this. Not making myself very clear. >__<

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  10. Doritoes

That will come in a future release once I stress test this first release. I wanted to keep the code complexity and testing down since NotScripts uses a brand new method of blocking in Google Chrome that no one else has tried.

It is a relatively simple feature to implement and I'll likely do it shortly on my private builds for testing.

On a similar note, I don't like how cluttered it will be if there are both the "permanently allow" and the "temporarily allow on this page" options in the drop down menu of the NotScripts icon. When I first used NoScripts on Firefox, this was the thing that struck me as making it overly difficult to use since everything seems bunched up, especially on sites with lots of scripts. I will have to play around with the NotScripts interface. Right now, I'm thinking of putting buttons side by side: one side is the "permanently allow" and the other side is the "temporarily allow on this page".

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

trying this out now
    twentyletterpassword has exactly 20 letters...wonder what I will use...

12. Keyboard_Commando

This is cool. No more Partypoker popups so far. That Justintv site always bombards me with popups, even though I have popups disabled. I guess Chromes popup blocking power is pretty weak sauce.

13. Doritoes

On that note, it's not listed in the NotScripts instructions, but you can actually use special characters in your password if javascript doesn't interpret it as an escaping sequence. So if you know how javascript strings work, then you have a larger number of characters to choose from. However, if you don't know how javascript strings work and include some escaping characters, then it could cause a syntax error.

14. Doritoes

Actually, that's what my Better Pop Up Blocker extension for Google Chrome is for: http://optimalcycling.com/other-projects/better-pop-up-blocker/

I coded Better Pop Up Blocker before NotScripts and used the experienced gained there to implement the new blocking method. Improvements in NotScripts may be backported to Better Pop Up Blocker.

15. Doritoes

I've got other people asking me to implement the temporarily allow this page feature, too. That's now become a top priority feature.

16. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

This is great and keep up the good work.

First web bug blocking from Ghostery and now this.

Thanks

Edit:

Ok - first issue. Despite having wilders set to allow scripts, when posting a reply here, i can "no longer" include "smileys" in my relpy. (this will have to do - "eyes bugging out")

Edit #2:

Ok - if possible, i think you need to change the message windows as i found them confusing. The color green is usually for safe, good, etc and red for bad, warning, etc.

When your message window showed green, i thought scripts were being allowed when in fact they were blocked and vice-versa for the red window.

I think your window should show a green color when scripts "are allowed" with the message saying - "scripts allowed on wilders". Then the opposite for the red color - "scripts blocked on wilders". Then have a button to change the selection to block or allow.

Here's how it looks now with the first image being allowed (but red in color)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

anyone try this with chrome plus?

18. Doritoes

For the "smileys", I can include them no problem and I have NotScripts running:
    ;) :'( :rolleyes: *puppy* o_O :oops:

I used both the drop down smilies menu and the sidebar smilies menu with no problems on here. How did you run into the problem?

As for the color in the NotScripts drop down menu, that would be debatable since if I went with your format, then the colors would not match the action of the words "Forbid" and "Allow". I went with matching the color to the action it will take. I could probably make a color scheme choice though. That should make everyone happy. That will have to come after the temporarily allow on this page feature.

Oh, and I've just fixed the first bug with NotScripts 0.9.0. It has to do with the fact that Google Chrome may not fire storage change events when NotScripts initializes. This can result in the "Revoke All Temporary" button not working for a session if you shut down Google Chrome with everything globally allowed. The new version number is 0.9.1 and I will push it out shortly so everyone make a backup copy of your password file because Google Chrome will overwrite it when I push out an update!

19. Doritoes

I haven't but I'll check it out after I push version 0.9.1 out for the bug fix.

20. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Working now :p

Ok - how about leaving it as is but "above" where it says "Forbid Scripts From", put "Scripts currently allowed"

21. Doritoes

I think I have something better and it doesn't involve either green or red.....Wait about a week if not less.

22. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Ok - i'll wait a week tops :D

23. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Notscript is affecting another chrome extension. Where do i report these issueso_O ?

24. Doritoes

You can just post your problem here or send me an e-mail in the address shown in NotScripts.

25. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

AniWeather - https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/nolajahnlkgfiaoipedmgfnmpdejljmg

Shows temp at top where extensions are lined up at right of address bar. This works fine. However, when clicking on extension, a window pops up showing the current weather conditions and extended forecast. With the NotScripts extension enabled, the popup is "blank". With the Notscripts extension disabled, it works as it should. Have even followed the instructions in the aniweather options to improve extensions compatibility but obviously, to no avail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.