Noticed Plugin Flaw

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by Whatever, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whatever

Whatever Guest

Hi,
    It is pretty obvious that all of you are EXTREMELY SERIOUS about privacy and Spyware,
    With the plugins from MRU Blaster (Cookie cleaner and temp cleaner)
    I found that it does empty the temps and it does empty the cookies (and overwrites) but what it doesnt do is remove the cookies which are duplicated in the temporary internet folder,
    I have to do that by hand.
    For some time I have been looking for a free alternative to the program "Historykill" when I found your plugins I was overjoyed,
    If you could add something to remove the duplicates of the cookies in the temp folder, this program would be kicking (put you own word here) since it is free :)

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Actually, those duplicates in the Temporary Internet Files folder should be removed when you reboot - MRU-Blaster should clean the Cookies index.dat file and the TIF index.dat file which can store that data.

Could you try rebooting and see what happens? (If you haven't done so already.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Whatever - I'm pretty sure the "pointers" you're seeing in Temp Internet Files should go away by themselves, as long as you have a checkmark in "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" when you go to Tools/Internet Options/"Advanced" tab (under the "Security" heading).

Thus, all you should have to do is close and then re-open the browser.

Or isn't it working like that for you? Pete

(Hello, Jc!)

4. Whatever

Whatever Guest

Thanks for the info and the quick reply :D
    Infact no when i close the browser this is not happening,
    also I dont understand what you mean by pointers,
    what are pointers?
    Thanks again

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

In most instances, those file do not actually exist in the Temporary Internet Files.

Instead, they are just "pointers" - meaning that when you would double-click on one, it would read the data from the actual file located somewhere else.

Usually, cleaning your index.dat files (which MRU-Blaster can do on reboot) fixes this.

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

"the cookies which are duplicated in the temporary internet folder" are not actual cookies - they're "pointers" to where the actual cookies are stored.

What version of IE are you using and do you have the "Internet" zone setting that I indicated above set the way I said?

Unless we're having a terminology problem here, having "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed" (Internet zone/Custom Level) checked, "Applied" and "Okay'ed" should be clearing the pointers for the cookies you're seeing in TIF - it does here, anyway. Pete

7. Whatever

Whatever Guest

Yes I have the browser set to those settings, it empties the rest of the temp files just not the duplicates, thanks javacool, pete, spy,
    Your advice has helped:)
    It's good that theres a freeware program which will clear up these items which normally a bought program which does the same costs an arm and leg, thanks again

PS: Pete, version 6.0SP1 and the rest of the fixes, thanks to everyone for the handy info.
    (sorry for originally calling this a flaw lol)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.