Nothing works but Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pointyears, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pointyears

pointyears Registered Member

A couple of days ago, during bootup, I got a message from my Norton AntiVirus 2003 program saying "Some Symantec product settings have been changed by an unauthorized program (1005,1). " It was unable to revert to previous settings. Symantec's solution is to uninstall Norton Antivirus, which I did, then reinstall it after deleting some other files, neither of which I got to. After rebooting, I discovered, to my horror, that other than basic Windows functions--and Internet Explorer--none of my programs, including SpywareBlaster, Spy Sweeper, System Restore, nothing will execute. Instead, Wordpad opens up and displays the gibberish of the .exe file I am attempting to use. A couple of times I have received a message saying a program won't open because it cannot find a file called ccTrust.dll. I'm not sure, but I think this may have been a Norton's file that was deleted. I am unable to reinstall Norton's because that requires an .exe file that opens in Wordpad! And when I reboot, all the programs that would normally boot up open as Wordpad files with the .exe extension. Does anyone have a clue as to how I can fix this problem? I haven't called Norton's because I will probably get someone in tech support from Bangladesh who will say it's not their fault or their problem. I welcome all responses.

P.S.: Outlook Express doesn't work, either, although I can surf without problem.

Pointyears

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi

You can donwload a copy of ccTrust.dll Here after you download it, do a online-scan (link's in my signature) just to sure nothing's in new file (or the computer). I did a little googleling, and i saw one who had a similar problem, hopefully this will "do the trick". Do a full scan with Spy Sweeper if you get it going again. :)

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.