Notebook SSDs / Fan Behaviour

Discussion in 'hardware' started by philby, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello All

I have swapped out the stock HDDs in both my laptops for SSDs.

On battery, the machines run silently except under load but as soon as I plug them into the mains, the fans kick off and stay on.

I've updated the BIOS on both machines, changed the (minimalist) fan auto/low settings there and tinkered with the Windows power settings (min CPU state, system cooling policy) as per the instructions from elsewhere on the net, but this behaviour persists whatever I do.

I've also checked the heatsink and fan for dirt on both machines.

Is there anything else I can try?

It's just interesting that this is on both machines but only with the SSDs installed - if I swap back the HDDs, the fans are far more passive.

Toshiba Satellite with OCZ Vertex.
    Samsung Q330 with Intel X-25.

Also - I now have the 'Consider replacing your battery' problem on the Toshiba (3 years old) and continual mis-reporting of battery time remaining on the Samsung (1 year old).

Thanks

philby

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. axial

axial Registered Member

3. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi axial and thanks for your reply

I've generated an energy report on the Samsung - no errors and I only get the warning about the wireless adaptor's power policy being set to max.

Hmm...!

Could it be that some power-related settings somewhere in the hardware of these laptops are optimised for mechanical drives and are inappropriate in some way for SSDs?

philby

4. axial

axial Registered Member

If I were having this problem I'd comb through the forums on SilentPCReview, as those folks are great at understanding how to keep stuff quiet and yet achieve good performance:
    http://www.silentpcreview.com

I wonder whether your laptops need updated drivers and chipset information to deal with an SSD, I can well imagine that some power-related settings would be influenced by whether the drivers and/or O/S actually recognize that an SSD is installed, and if they don't recognize it they might set the fan speeds to max just as a default.

aha -- I knew I'd seen a similar issue, it's probably this issue:
    http://superuser.com/questions/301078/ssd-interfering-with-fan-speed-control

5. philby

philby Registered Member

Good of you to dig that up!

I've been checking for Intel firmware releases frequently for the X-25 on the Samsung, and I'm current, with revision 2CV102M3.

As far as I know, all other drivers are up to date, if Device Manager / Samsung website are to be believed...

Not sure how I can find out what is driving the fans in order to lower some setting or other - there's absolutely nothing in the BIOS I can tinker with on this machine...

I've been sitting here for 2 hours and fan is constant - pulling the mains gives me about a ten minute reprieve of absolute silence (maintaining only TBird and IE open) before the fan is constant again. o_O

philby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.