Note: COMODO ANTIVIRUS FAILS - still

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by buyone, Sep 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buyone

buyone Registered Member

There was a thread about this in Dec 2008 - with hopes that it would be fixed soon.

The Comodo anti-virus engine fails to initialise - so you are unprotected and you don't know it.

Only Windows Security Alerts tells you about this - a little red shield at the bottom rhs of the screen ; in amongst all the other coloured stuff that "has" to be there such as the red BBC iplayer icon, the red tom-tom icon, so it is easily overlooked.

Just letting you know.

I need an AV & FW (free) that allows Firefox to work for more than 1/2 hour on Vista. AVG & ZoneAlarm were my preferred solution.

Regards

2. simisg

simisg Registered Member

what do you mean? 1/2 half hour?

3. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

I've not seen AVG, or any AV, have problems with Vista's built-in firewall. Is that not an option?

4. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

There have been incidents where the Security Centre incorrectly determines the AV status I had similar with Avira a while back.You can run Eicar to tell if it's actually working.

5. buyone

buyone Registered Member

I believe there is no AV because
    1)A Windows Security Alert - Comodo Anti Virus reports it is turned off.

2)This is corroborated by Comodo reporting that it is not initialized when I try to update - so I believe Comodo.

However the Comodo Summary also shows "All systems are active and running".

So we have the dichotomy "Is it or isn't it working" which is not the sort of question one asks about an AV prog, particularly 9 months after it is first noted. So it is an old problem not yet fixed.

The reason I had to leave AVG & ZA is the hanging of FireFox, initially after about 1 1/2 hours then this would occur more rapidly, maybe after 1/2 hour. The hanging is a well known prob with FF and Vista and has been known about since 2008 but not cured. (I did suspect an MS plot since they have been caught fiddling with FF). After spending days reading forums I noticed a single hint that either VGA or ZA were involved so I reluctantly removed them and low and behold no more FF hanging on Vista. So it is another old problem not yet fixed.

The solution is to remove Vista and use XP SP3 (MS stuff is needed for some IDE's) but I object to paying MS twice to get a working OS.

Regards

- I still want another AV & FW that work with FF, though I am using Chrome more & more (A Google plot to hid the FF solution by skewing search results, anyone?) I just wish Chrome had print preview - another long term prob.

6. kumold

kumold Registered Member

I also had this problem. But in my case I accidentally closed antivirus's service called Comodo Internet Security Helper Service (cmdagent.exe). You can also check for this service. If this service is disabled or stopped, then Comodo can't initialize anivir, firewall or defense+.
    If you closed this service in task manager, then comodo will show that all systems are active and running, but it isn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.