Not Updating In Dual Boot

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by hawk22, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk22

hawk22 Registered Member

Hi,

I just wonder if anyone here is using the free version of NOD32 that is available on the PC USER Magazine (Australia). I am and have been doing so from day one.
    I have never had any problems of any sort with NOD32 except now with dual boot.
    I have Win 98SE on my drive 1 with NOD 32 installed on it and have now set-up drive 2 on XP Pro in dual boot mode.
    When I installed XP I installed the AV Program EZ from Computer Associates the Trail version that is included on the Microsoft Security Update CD onto drive 2 for XP. Problem now is when I try to run the update for NOD32 from the PC USER Magazine using version Win 95 / 98 / ME / a Menu Box comes up informing me that the version I selected is only for Win 95 /98 / ME it appears to me that the installer scanning the System detects XP and then refuses to load the 98 version.
    Anyone got any idea on how to solve that.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated

Hawk22

2. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

Fully functional evaluation versions of the NOD32 Antivirus System have been included on Australian PC User cover CDs every month since May 2001. These evaluation versions expired at the end of the issue month, providing up to 7 weeks to try the program.

NOD32 is not "free for life" software, but thousands of people have been using it free for months (years, in some cases) by installing a new evaluation copy from those CDs each month ... sometimes on dozens of PCs.

This is no longer possible. When an evaluation version expires, installation of subsequent evaluation versions may be blocked, or antivirus database updates may be blocked.

Licensing NOD32 allows normal use of the program.

3. hawk22

hawk22 Registered Member

I don’t know who you are or what you are, but reading your response I dare to say that you are an Staff Member from NOD32.
    Reading your response coming from the Company of NOD32 I was more than Astounded on how ill informed you are.
    As any PC USER reader using NOD32 would know, that your comments in regards to updating the program are completely wrong and I would go as far as saying Offending.
    Please read carefully the following screenshots from not only PC USER but also
    NETGUIDE

· Free antivirus monthly updates:
    NOD32 2
    Operating system: Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP
    Licence: 30-day trial (updates available monthly from the NetGuide CD in Essentials)
    Minimum system requirements: N/A
    Web: http://www.nod32.com.au
    Protect your PC from viruses with the best antivirus software, as tested by the NetGuide labs. NOD32 catches more viruses than any other antivirus program we've seen, using effective heuristics to protect against unknown viruses. The full program is priced at $75 for one year's worth of virus updates. Regular NetGuide readers can download an updated 30-day trial with a new embedded username and password every month from the Essentials section of the NetGuide CD.
    Once the installation has been completed, the latest version of the virus definition database must be downloaded immediately to ensure the highest detection capabilities. Use the 'Update Now' button in the NOD32 Control Center Update tab. This will give you your 30-day trial virus definition update of NOD32.
    NOD32In PC User's most recent antivirus tests, only one program provided 100% protection against all viruses in a very large test set: NOD32. It also has effective heuristics to protect against unknown viruses and the company is really on the ball with updates. The program has an easy-to-use interface and, despite its thoroughness, scans are fast. Is it any wonder we awarded NOD32 as PC User's best antivirus program of 2001?PC User is giving you an exclusive fully functional trial version thanks to the people at NOD32. Just click on the installation link below, and input the username and password from within the control centre section of NOD32.To keep your virus scanner up-to-date, the password provided this month will expire after 30 days. You will need to reinstall NOD32 from next month's PC User CD to keep it functional and to give you access to the latest virus definition tables.

Username: 0802PCuser
    Password: ags018hrwe

I am also forwarding your response to both Netguide and PC User in open Letters set the record straight.

hawk22

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Hawk, Rodzilla is NOD32 Australia. Didn't you notice his posting signature? That is a link to the NOD32 Australia site. Many NOD users consider it to be the best of all the NOD sites as it has a plethora of information some of the other NOD sites don't have. It makes you look a bit ignorant when you make such sweeping statements and it is obvious you haven't really looked very far. You also could have checked the history of this forum. If you had, you would have learned that this forum exists because of Rodzilla. He is its founding father. He was also the main Moderator for the forum for some time.

I don't know anymore about this issue than what I have read here. I would venture to say though that I think it far more likely that PC User hasn't updated their information yet. Perhaps this policy is so new that they simply haven't had a chance to revise the wording.

It appears that you are just angry because you can't get NOD32 free any longer.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, there definitely appears to be some confusion here.

The posted quote from that magazine seems to be encouraging the repeated installation of what they are clearly identifying in their own summary as a 30-day trial copy of NOD32. (30-day trial being, by definition, a right to trial the product for only 30-days.)

At this point we'll need clarification from Eset to be sure if this is actually allowed, per their agreement with that magazine. As Rod is the official reseller for Australia, I'm sure he's looking into it from his side, as you have hawk22 by way of: "I am also forwarding your response to both Netguide and PC User in open Letters set the record straight."

In the meantime, let's hold any other speculation as to what's what with the licensing policy.

6. The NOD32 Australia guy "rodzilla" says it's not free to use for life, so what's your beef?

It looks to me like you're just PO'd because you can't keep on being a bum for the rest of your life.

7. That's the way it looks to me too.

9. hawk22

hawk22 Registered Member

There is some that I agree with and there is some I don’t. I am not P.O. because it is no longer free, I expected that to happen some time.
    What angered me is the way Rodzilla put it to me, virtually accusing me of thieving the program. I do have an copy of PC USER when the Program was first offered to the readers and even it stated as I have shown it is trail, but it also stated that by purchasing PC USER you will be able to continue to update. Why else would it state your update for next month.

Mele I did not seek this site out I had never been here before I don’t know the official symbol of NOD and had no idea who Rodzilla is. I was given a link to this site and put my question here,and no I did not research the site. I do not use NOD32 as my main AV I have Norton AV running on my PC and use NOD32 as an backup Anti Virus and have done so as Rodzilla complains about for years from the first time PC USER had offered it.
    And I will use from now onwards whatever free AV that is available on the Internet.
    I hope that this will satisfy you.
    It reads to me that LowWaterMark is reading the situation very much like I do, and I am quite confident that PC USER will respond and clarify the situation.
    I may add that PC USER is stating now in the May 2004 Edition that it is no longer possible to update.

If you have previouly installed NOD32 2 30-day trial, you may not be able to update your virus definitions unless you purchase a subscription.
    This is Text copied from the May CD.

hawk22

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Actually Rod was extremely nice to you! :D I am laughing because Rod is very well known in the anti virus community and all who know him know that he does a watered down version of his real self when he posts here now since this is such "sweet" site that expects "perfect" manners from everyone. I, for one, really miss his unique style of posting as much as I miss his posting. (He does very little now and that is due to the site not wanting his style of posting which I think is a detriment to this site. I think less of Wilders because of this attitude). I have been on the receiving end of Rod's tongue lashing myself ...but I still miss it! Just read some of his early posts here when this forum was new and you will see that you got off extremely easily! :D ;)

Don't get too bent out of shape. Rod is one of the finest individuals I have met on the internet...honest and kind and someone who fights for the little guy who is wronged... as well as being a world class expert on viruses.

11. hawk22

hawk22 Registered Member

Mele,
    This reads to me like an watered down version from you too.
    (Quote) Read some of his early posts and you will see that you got off extremely easily. Got off extremely easily for what, posting a honest and genuine Question that has up to date not been answered by anyone.
    If you read my Post in it’s context than you would see that my Question was NOT why can’t I update anymore. If I would have just not been able to get anymore updates I would have just done what I have done now find an other AV.That is free NOD was not free as such you have to buy the Magazine every Month in order to update. Now I have free AV from an small German Company by the name of AntiVir.
    And I am quite confident that should I ever need some advice I will get it to their best ability not like on this Forum.
    But it was not like that, unfortunate coincidence was that when I updated my NOD AV on Drive 1 on 98SE before I installed XP there was no issue. I then set up my System in dual boot with XP and when going back a few days later with XP on drive 2 the NOD Dialog box informed me that it can not install the vers.for 98 xx on a XP OS hence my Title: Not updating in dual Boot. All I wanted to know is whether there is a problem with NOD in a dual boot setup by not using the same AV on both OS’es.
    Unaware at that time that the up-dates where no longer available.
    It appears to me that the as you call it “The unique style of Rod” mind you I am not questioning his professional ability I am referring to his Arrogant way in what was his reply to my post is rubbing off on the Members of this Forum. (Not Including LowWaterMark) if you read the page of replies that I had received (excluding your last watered down reply) there was not one reply related to the question.
    Just insults for using a free AV for Goods sake there are Millions of People out there using free Anti Virus.
    It is very Noble of you to Respect him as you do; this is your business and it is, may I say very Fortunate for us to live in Countries where we can still express our Opinions as we see fit.
    Having said all this all that is left for me to say is that my Letter will be to late for the June Issue, but July could be OK and I will post the Answer from PC USER Magazine.

Hawk22

12. spm

spm Registered Member

hawk22:

I have a strong opinion on people who post with "arrogance" (your view on Rodzilla's post) and with uncalled-for attitude - there are a number of people in this forum (and others) who adopt such an inflammatory and unhelpful practise - but I fail to see anything in Rodzilla's post that was presented that way. What, exactly, do you object to? What, exactly, leads you to believe that you have been accused of any impropriety, as you so clearly seem to believe?

You also claim Rodzilla is "ill informed". Mmm. When I read his post, it seems to me that he is perfectly well informed (which is what I would expect from one of Eset's authorised agents). What, exactly, did he write that was not correct?

If you believe PC User Magazine (Australia) have guaranteed you "free" use of NOD32, then you should take it up with them. Find yourself a lawyer who supports your case, and deal with it. Other than that, I don't see your beef. Neither Eset, NOD32 Australia, nor any other person or organisation appears to have led you to believe otherwise.

Now, you claim your original question was about problems with NOD32 in dual-boot configurations. You would have done better, therefore, to have omitted all mention of "free" use of NOD32. Also, your response to Rodzilla effectively hijacked your own thread, and I am not surprised the real question you wanted answering has not been properly addressed.

All that said, does your dual boot system by any chance use a common Program Files folder (or a common NOD32 folder) for both Win98 and WinXP? If it does, you will encounter all sorts of problems.

13. You quoted a 2002 issue of PC User as your reason for expecting free lifetime use of NOD32. Now you quote the May 2004 issue (I haven't received mine yet, but I'll take your word for it) explaining the situation as it really is, but in spite of all your feeble excuses and disclaimers you're still pissing and moaning about "free", even proclaiming you now have another FREE anti-virus about which you're "quite confident that should I ever need some advice I will get it to their best ability not like on this Forum."

You liked NOD32 enough to keep using it for 2 years free, but not enough to pay for it. I liked it enough to keep using it for 2 years free too, but I paid for a licence when I learned the true story. I can see you for what you are, and I don't think I'm the only one on this Forum who recognizes a whingeing bum when he sees one.

I won't even comment about your crap about Rod "virtually accusing you of thieving the program". You were too stupid to understand what he said, so you will definitely be too stupid to understand what I say.

14. hawk22

hawk22 Registered Member

I won't be taking up much of your time, I just like to point out a few points.
    At no time in my posts have I claimed that I expected "Free Lifetime" use of NOD32 on the contrary my words were if I would have been aware that updates are no longer available then I would have just gone and got a free AV elsewhere and not come here for advice, as I have done now. NOD32 was not free as such as you have to purchase the Mag and on more than one occation I would not have purchased the Mag would it not have been for the update of NOD32 so I do not feel guilty one little bit.I also have pointed out that I am a User of Norton AV and I pay my Licence for that, therefore I do not see any reson why I should pay for 2 AV programs. I clearly stated that I use NOD32 as a Backup AV. And Yes I have taken it up with PC USER Magazine.
    Aussie in Bankog: I would have bought one about 2 years earlier if I'd known the facts, but PC User didn't make them clear. I assumed, and "rodzilla" agreed that it was a reasonable assumption, there was some sort of deal where PC User was paying for the program to offer free to subscribers.

Rodzilla had known that there was a issue with the Mag why didn't he post a Sticky to inform people, a lot of confusion could have been avoidet.

As to "And now you claim" if you read the Title you would see it is not a "now you claim" it was there right from the beginning before my go at Rodzilla. There was no reply to my question.
    I thank you for your response and no I do not have a common Program Folder. I have learned in the meantime from a other PC USER reader that posted here with the same wording in the dialog box, it is only related to not being able to upgrade, the message is very confusing, but thanks for that, a bit late but thanks anyway.
    As for the rest of the comments that have been dished out .....................
    not worth commenting.

hawk22

15. spm

spm Registered Member

hawk22:

<Sigh>, it is clear that the whole reason for all your aggression in this forum is the fact that you *do* consider yourself 'guilty'. I can see no other cause for your irrational responses to people's posts here. You have jumped on people because of your clouded perceptions of what they have written to you, rather than what they have actually written.

Can you not see that everybody who has posted to the threads you have contributed to sees that very same cause? Does that not give you cause for concern about how you present yourself, or for the transparency of your motives?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.