not understanding "Add New Disk Wizard"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 2budbeer, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2budbeer

2budbeer Registered Member

This is the first time using TI8 and the add new disk proccess. The wizard is not helpfull enough. Please help with these questions.

1) One of the partions I'm making on the new drive will contain a image of my primary drive that contains my OS. I have no intentions on booting from this new partion, so do I still select "logical drive" on the "partition type" screen of the wizard even thou it will contain an OS? I intend on only having two partions on this new drive using all the space up. Is logical drive my best choice?

2)This were I'm really confused. This is what the "size and position" screen of the wizard is showing me.

Minimum size 7.844 MB maximum size 153.4GB

unalocated space before: 7.83MB
    partition size: 153.4GB
    Unalocated space after: 0 bytes

What's with the 7.83MB "unalocated space before" all about? What is it for? Why can I change this amount and why would Io_O This is what is confusing me the most.
    I want my first partion to be 15GB. When I type that in the "partition size" box the "unalocated space after" box shows 138.4GB ( the remainder). Makes sence. When I make the second and last partion on this drive do I just choose the remaining 138.4 for "partition size"? Will I be contending with that "unalocated space before" thing again that I don't understand?

I have not gone through the whole patition proccess yet, so I'm not sure how the rest of the proccess works. I wanted to get some advise before I screw something up.

Please help
    Thanks

OS XP
    TI 8 build 800

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 2budbeer,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

If you do not plan to install operating system to the partition this partition may be set as logical without any problems. You may store the image containing operating system on any partition you wish.

As for the problem with 7.8Mb, please create the primary partition first and then add other partitions. In this case you will be able to avoid having this unallocated space. For more information concerning this problem please refer to the following post
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=348512#post348512

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.