Not that I even use IE but I noticed IE 10 for W7 is only a preview version, is that

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

correct? thank you!

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

3. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Re: Not that I even use IE but I noticed IE 10 for W7 is only a prewiew version, is that

I have it installed. It is called "Pre-Release (KB2761465)" Version is 10.0.9200-16439. I have used it only a little - no problems to date. However, this is not a Preview Version from what I understand.

I use Google Chrome most of the time tho.

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Re: Not that I even use IE but I noticed IE 10 for W7 is only a prewiew version, is that

I don't really use IE either (if ever) but I think I can wait until the official release. I'm really not that excited about it.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Same here... I don't use IE at all, so it matters nil to me...

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I still don't see it being a full release for Windows 7, it's a bit late now. They screwed up concentrating just on Windows 8, and now they're watching the OS fail. Meanwhile, Windows 7 users are doing quite fine with Firefox, Chrome, IE 9 and everyone else.

7. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

That and I don't see anyone waiting with baited breath for it for Win7.. In fact, I don't think anyone gives a damn. That's about how relevant MS is these days.

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, there's also the lessened security it will have on Win 7 than on Win 8, as some features won't be supported that I'm aware of. I wouldn't call MS irrelevant just yet, as there are still millions upon millions of desktops in the world and mobile devices can't do any "heavy lifting" as of yet (I expect that to change in the not too distant future, though you won't be seeing any studio-type film/photo editing anytime soon.). They aren't near as important as they once were and the computing scene has changed, which could be another reason they're planning "Blue" and going in a more Apple-like direction with OS releases.

But, yeah, as to IE 10, either you're a hardcore IE user by choice or necessity, or you quit caring all that much around say, IE 7/8.

9. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I'm no fan of IE but IE9 is the 1st in the series that I find reasonable enough to use - partly due to things like Protected Mode and TPLs.

IE10 seems to bring improvements to the table, but more so for Win8 than Win7. I'll just wait for the final release.

10. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I used it once or twice on Win 8 and it was horrible, many sites that I visit were not compatible and the entire compatibility mode button disappeaered

11. Daveski17

They say it actually has a spellchecker ... oh, my ... I can't wait LOL!

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

And it works!!

13. Daveski17

You do realise I was being ironic ... ;)

14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm surprised at the amount of pages that don't look right on it. There's quite a bit of text overlapping images and vice versa. I don't know if coding on the website is the issue or the browser itself. I don't at all like the bookmark system, and I haven't liked the UI since IE 9. Everything is crowded into tiny little icons in the top corners. On the plus side, it's a fast little bugger on most websites and decently secure, even if SmartScreen is a bit aggressive. Some downloads that I knew were legit I ended up having to download through Chrome. I hope MS doesn't just stop here. It would be a waste of development time to have stopped at a near final preview for Win 7.

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The only thing the whole Windows 8 debacle along with IE10 and DX11.1 proved to me was just how pointless the upgrade to Windows 7 was from Vista.....We haven't yet got a "proper" IE10, DX11.1 is incomplete on Windows 7 and Windows Media Player has no updates.

For what it's worth, Windows 7 now has almost nothing on offer above Vista (that offers significant real-world utility). I imagine Windows 9 will be similar.

16. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

IE 10 will bring ForceASLR to Win7:
    http://arstechnica.com/information-...tion-features-not-just-for-internet-explorer/

Though, from the description, this seems the same as EMETs MandatoryASLR, does anyone has more info about this?

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

True, which is why Vista is the best release ever.
    They waited two years and renamed it, and boom, success!
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.