Not reverting changes to system

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Auguss, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auguss

Auguss Registered Member

When i choose come out of virtual mode to normal windows even though i have the option to remove changes it does not. I have noticed this in the last several releases. I have to restart in virtual mode and then choose to restart in normal mode.
    Here is a screen shot of my settings:
    http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7578/clipboard01zq.th.jpg

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello Auguss,
    The image is unreadable so we will need to go at this differently. First, what are you doing exactly? Take me through it step by step to where the content is not lost at restart on your System Partition (usually the C:\ drive).

Mike

3. Auguss

Auguss Registered Member

Okay I have in the Virtual Mode > Settings the following, "trust system services from real disk only," "Drop all changes (Recommended)," Wipe all disk changes at computer startup," have been checked. When I click the box to REMOVE the "X" from Virtual Mode > Overview and restart the computer using Start menu > Restart. System changes get written permanently to the disk. This is how a virus got into my computer one time. It never erases the changes while leaving virtual mode. I can make a video of it using FRAPS and RADMIN on a remote computer to show you what I did to get this to happen.

4. Coldmoon

Do the following:

1. Deactivate the option to start Virtual Mode with Windows and then restart the computer to release the virtualization if it is on.

2. Download Debugview from Microsoft/Sysinternals if you don't already have it: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx

3. Start DBV with Admin privileges and Configure additional options in DebugView:
    - Dbgviev menu > Capture > Capture Kernel
    - Dbgviev menu > Capture > Enable Verbose Kernel Output
    - Dbgviev menu > Capture > Pass-Through

4. Then open RSS and Enable Virtual Mode. (some debug output should appear in the Dbgviev window after that)

5. Save received debug output via ‘Dbgviev menu > File > Save’ (or ‘Save as’) and then send this file to us

6. With that information, also include the following and send all to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com:

The rvs3.log and rvs3.inst.log files in the following folder: "C:\Documents and Settings\all users\application data\returnil\rvs3\log"

All versions:

* MSINFO32 report**

**Click START > RUN > Type MSINFO32. On the System Information screen click FILE > Export and then save the file where you can find it to attach to your reply.

Mike

5. Auguss

Auguss Registered Member

Will do that A.S.A.P. and will post results back when available right now I am on another computer repair job.

This is very strange this happens often. When I am in virtual mode and exiting virtual mode right to windows even though I have "Drop all changes checked" it still writes to disk. I can make a shortcut on desktop per say and restart the computer exiting virtual mode and when windows come back up in normal the shortcut is still on my desktop.

I would have to restart the computer twice, once in virtual mode to virtual mode, and then a second time to virtual to normal windows to ensure no changes get saved.

6. Coldmoon

Hi,
    Make sure you send the logs to the support address - please, do not attach your logs to a forum post...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.