Not revealing your password, a criminal offense in UK

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by llista, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. llista

llista Guest

The British police is getting the right to demmand the password to your encrypted data, the penalty for refusing to reveal your password carries a jail sentence.

The Part III of the Ripa Act (UK) will come into force 1st October:
    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2193876/government-ripa-part-iii

Forgetting it is not a valid excuse as you will have to prove you have forgotten it, not the other way around, and if after revealing all your private data the police decides in fact you had nothing illegal encrypted, there will be no compensation. Welcome to Big Brother Britain.

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Good to hear. Its about time we took the gloves off when dealing with terrorists.
    They can inspect my data anytime without paying compensation.

3. llista

llista Guest

You probably don't know much about terrorists and "taking off the gloves", in my country of origin where the terrorists are far much more numerous and powerful than in the UK, the police usually tortures them with electric cathodes, beatings, raping the female militants, and threats to kill their families. I am not making this up, all this is well documented in the annual Amnesty International report.

This system has been working excellent for the last 40 years and 100% of the terrorists always sign confessions with all the details, hard disk encryption it is irrelevant once you have a signed confession with all the details.

But wee UK believes that terrorists will prefer to betray the cause they are ready to die for and their comrades rather than facing prison, which is rubbish. If you are going to fight terrorism you do it the right way.

I am all for legalisation of torture of terrorists and their families, but the Ripa Act will help in nothing.

4. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

So, searching through private data = A Bad Thing
    State sanctioned torture = A Good Thing?

Just trying to understand...

5. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

A friend of mine came up with a cute idea. Set your password to something like "ICommittedCriminalOffenceXXXXXXonDDDD"... then use the right not to self-incriminate to hand over the password. It raised a smile, but I am unsure how effective it would be.

The problem with giving sweeping powers to inspect data is the fact that the data is inspected by people. People who have power tend to abuse it.

... until you, or a member of your family are falsely accused of being a terrorist, in which case I assume you would sign anything to make the pain stop... I just hope you were being sarcastic in your post :(

[NB. This is a personal post and not the view of my employer]

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Torture & Politics - definitely two things that are not appropriate for Wilders Security Forums.

As we've had both a Pro- and Con- posting on those, which gives the thread a measure of balance, I'm going to close the thread now to prevent that from being carried any further. People can read the article at the link provided and then contemplate the issue for themselves offline from this forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.