Not overly impressed with IE 7....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Defenestration, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I've only just installed and tried IE 7 for the first time and I'm not all that impressed for the following reasons:

1) I've found 2 cosmetic bugs already which makes me wonder what other problems there are. They are:

- Clicking three times on Printer drop-down arrow toolbar button causes Add/Change Home page toolbar button to become highlighted.
    - Menu bar height changes slightly when switching between tabs that have following two pages loaded

http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php
    http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showforum=296

2) Resizing IE window is slow - there is a noticeable lag while redrawing takes place.

3) Page painting CPU usage has increased compared to IE 6, so much so that Firefox 2.0 now uses less CPU IMO. My simple test was to load a few pages and then grab the vertical scrollbar and move the mouse up/down quickly while watching CPU usage.

4) No Stacked/Multi-row tabs

5) No equivalent to NoScript for IE.

If any of my comments are incorrect or can be rectified somehow, I'd like to hear from more knowledgeable IE 7 users.

I think I'll be sticking to FF for most of my browsing unless I absolutely have to us IE.

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

None of those is not important for me, so it nicely proves, that a user should use software based on the features he needs and not that someone tells him, what is the best for him. [​IMG]

I have scripts disabled and I put the page to trusted when needed and it works like NoScript.

I could write why I hate FF and why IE7 is better and I am sure, that noone would agree. ;)

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'm not knocked out by IE7 either. Until it gets the sandbox that Vista creates for it, it's just as dangerous as IE6.

Anyway, that aside, from what I have found, the closest you can get to NoScript with IE (6 or 7) is QuickSet Internet Zone from Terabyte Unlimited (Last listing at the bottom of the page http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html )

Although it asks if you want to install it for all users, I installed for each user (seems to work better that way.) Of course, if you only have one user... :)

QSIZ allows you you change settings on up to 10 potential security related items very quickly. MUCH better access than using IE's buried menus.

Attached Files:

• QSIZ.jpg
      QSIZ.jpg
      File size:
      64.2 KB
      Views:
  4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Do you have an opinion about sandboxing IE6/IE7 in XP with the free Amust 1-defender?
    I mean, why wait for Vista?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.