Not nice Avira, Not nice...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by xan K, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xan K

xan K Registered Member

I didn't know Avira limited how many times you could activate your AV. Now every time I try to active I get the following error:

I've sent them two emails since two days ago and still haven't got a word from them. Since I like beta testing and I tend to do fresh OS installs every now and then, that's a real bummer for me. that's not what I got a 2-year license for. :(

2. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Haven't you tried Avira's support forums?

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, the forums might get you a quicker response....

4. xan K

xan K Registered Member

I've posted there. not a reply yet. :(

5. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I better wait to see how this turns out before I make the purchace. I do lots of testing hence many reformats and reimages. Only having a few activations would cramp my style too much to be able to use it.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I imagine that what Avira is doing here is common practise for other Av companies as well although I don't know which ones specifically.

7. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

extraneous i reinstall avira more than 35 time and never got that message

8. Dutchcow

Dutchcow Guest

Piracy is detected when the license is activated by too many different ip addresses. When activated a 1000 times from the same pc, there's no problem. Some people buy a license and supply the whole family....right? Right!

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, most of users on DSL have dynamic IP's that change on every system restart or in specific cycles. You can't expect them to activate from same IP each time.

I's more logical to make hash from hardware and check activation based on that. So IP doesn't really matter...

10. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Usually this is done by generating some kind of a hardware id, which allows a few changes in the hardware. Even windows does that and requires by-phone activation after it has been activated online from different hardware more than a specified amount of time.

xan K: There is a reply to your question in the avira forum requesting details about you. Noone can help with just your forum nick as a hint on who you are.

11. xan K

xan K Registered Member

@RejZoR: That's exactly my case. My DSL uses dynamic IP's, but I'm trully using the same computer from 14 months ago, absolutely no changes. I never thought it would be a problem.

Well, I've got two replies so far, but both of them force me to give them a call. Since I live in the Dominican Republic I don't think that would be wise as the call will definitely cost more than a new activation code. I'm out of luck, it seems. There's only one last shot through email. Hope it works.

12. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I just hope that is not the case that some countries get a worse treatment than others. It happened to me although I live in Europe that US companies do not trust me...although I trust them and paid with my good old credit card. Avira is not a US company but might be the case that when they see too many activations from countries they cannot "reach"...they apply more strict rules.

I just hope this is not the case...I cannot prove it of course. Just thinking out loud.

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have restored at least 20 images since I bought Avira Premium, and regularly use FirstDefense PC Rescue which is like using two twin systems in the same computer. I never had a prompt to reactivate. Storagecraft is also a company implementing activation policies, can't blame them piracy has crippled many companies

14. Threedog

Oh that's good to know then. I went ahead and bought it anyways. Made an image of the install (with Acronis) so it's good to know if I restore that image that it will be just business as usual.

15. xan K

xan K Registered Member

well, I'm glad to say that the problem has been sorted out. I haven't received an official reply from Avira, but my activation code has been restored. thanks for the help.

16. Threedog

Xan, someone told me to save the key and when you reinstall or anything to just direct it to the key instead of using the activation code and it will work better. Haven't tried it so don't know for sure.

17. xan K

xan K Registered Member

how can I save my key? can someone enlighten me, please?

edit:
    ok, it's the "hbedv.key" located in the installed folder, right?
    so, it won't contact the avira servers for activation the next time I install importing the hbedv key?
    if that's the case, I should've known that a long time ago and save me a lot of trouble.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

save it in a usb stick and you are done:)

19. xan K

xan K Registered Member

done! hopefully no more activation issues. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.