Not disinfecting Worm.Win32.AutoIt.u

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by penjoseph, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. penjoseph

penjoseph Registered Member

One of our Laptops was infected by a virus from USB pen drive

There is an exe running called KHATARNAK.exe. The Virus signature shows as Worm.Win32.AutoIt.u

The registry editor is disabled,
    Internet explorer & firefox browsers infected with messages,
    Folder options from Windows explorer disabled
    Task Manager is disabled

A whole lot of exes are created: eg
    Songs.exe, New Folder.exe, Jokes.exe, Files.exe, Program Files.exe, windows.exe, etc

NOD32 tried to quarantine the exe, but failed to detect & remove the virus.

We uninstalled NOD32 & installed Kaspersky which immediately detected the virus & removed it.

2. penjoseph

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The point is the trojan is detected. It sounds like you managed to run it before NOD32 quarantined it (e.g. you installed NOD32 after your computer got infected, or you hadn't kept the signature database up to date, or had the real-time protection disabled).

I don't think there is an antivirus that reverses registry changes as it might reverse changes intentionally made by an administrator. There are hints on the web as how to enable certain system features in the registry.

4. guilijan

guilijan Registered Member

Kav/Kis alert you (if you set it) of any change in the registry an ask for your permision to allow it or not.

5. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

I think that's because of KAV's PDM (behavioral heuristic? or HIPS?).

thanatos

6. wiak

wiak Registered Member

you know the drill, reboot into safe mode and run NOD32 :ninja:

7. penjoseph

We have a 100 user license bought 1 1/2 years back when NOD32 was becoming popular. We switched from Norman which we having for 4 years to NOD32

The Laptop was a fresh Windows XP install (one month back since Hard disk was replaced) with NOD32 v3 regularly updated from local Anti-virus update Server.

Real-time protection was enabled. Meaning NOD32 was installed & configured prior to the system getting infected.

The user had administrative privileges.

NOD32, 'I repeat' failed to disinfect the Laptop. It tries to quarantine the exes created like songs.exe, new folder.exe, etc but again the exes are created, failing to remove the root infection.

After searching the internet for good Anti-virus', Kaspersky caught my attention for high detection & disinfection rates. So I thought I will give it a try.

Kaspersky was installed after the system was infected by uninstalling NOD32.

Kaspersky 'I repeat' disinfected the system even after installing after the Laptop was infected.

Yes I am know of editing the registry & modifying through scripts. Also using 'Group Policy Editor' gpedit.msc - but would be tedious job editing infected systems. For the above mentioned laptop, Kaspersky only removed the infection. I enabled 'folder options', task Manager through group policy settings

Joseph Eapen

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  8. penjoseph

Yes I am thorough with the drill, maintaining both Windows & Linux systems for 10 years.

Let me repeat, even in Windows 'safe mode' NOD32 DOES NOT remove the root infection. The exes appear back after the Laptop is re-booted !

So how many times should I go through the drill again Sargent ? :blink:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  9. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

it remind me a day when i was infected by this trojan
    this trojan only came using usb flash drives

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.