Not Booting

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tonyh, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tonyh

Tonyh Registered Member

Hi all,
    TI ES the latest version.
    We have a server (Twin 2.4GHZ CPUs ) running 2000 Server, 2003 Server Exch. 4 HDDs in mirror+stripe raid ( promise raid controllers ).
    What I am trying to do is create an image of this server and then restore it onto an identical backup server ( incase there is ever a major hardware failure ).
    I have taken a image of the entire drive ( ticking the little tick box ) and have tried numerous ways to try and restore this image ( have also made several iamges incase of corruption ).
    If I try and restore the complete image by ticking the little tick box ( :) ) it says there is no room or that the HDDS are already restored ( they are blank freshly formatted HDDs ) if i restore one partition and then the next it does it BUT the server will never boot. ( fixing the MBR from a 2000 Server Cd also wont work, in fact if I ask it to do a CHKDSK it says there are unrecoverable errors everytime )
    Am I missing something?

We have purchased the TI software and the identical server because of reisk assessment policies etc and I am trying to get this worse case scenario test run to work. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Tony

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tony,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image Enterprise Server (http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATIESWin/).

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

Could you please verify the image you have created? Have you tried to restore the image after booting from Acronis Bootable CD or under Windows? Could you please describe where you stored the image?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Tonyh

Tonyh Registered Member

Yes I have verified the image.
    I have tried storing the image on an external USB HDD, I have tried by connecting the external HDD to an IDE port, I have also tried by having it on a networked computer.
    I have done it by installing Win2000 Server on the target computer first and installing TI, it only says there are files in use and gets me to reboot, going into the DOS mode TI.
    I have tried it on a freshly partioned and formatted RAID ( have even rebuilt the RAID), and booted from the Acronis created bootable CD.
    Everytime it says the image has finished being restored, I reboot only to find it wont reboot. I boot back up with the CD and can see all the files and folders are there, but it just hangs on the boot and when I try anything I said in the prior message I get the unrecoverable errors msg.

Cheers
    Tony

4. Samus

Samus Guest

I have the same problem, in a similar setup. I'm getting the same results. Though, every time I do a restore of the whole drive it boots up to the manufacturer's hidden partition. If I do just C:\ partition, it hangs right after the bios post. I've read here that booting from a restored partition is not posible.

5. Acronis Support

Hello Tony,

Did I get you right that you managed to restore the image to the absolutely identical computer? Are the original HDDs set in RAID 0+1 as target HDDs are? Could you please clarify what is happening after the restoration process and reboot?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. Acronis Support

Hello Samus,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

When you create the image of a single partition the MBR is not included into this image. It means that if you restore this image to another hard drive it will not be bootable. However all the data will be transferred.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. Tonyh

Tonyh Registered Member

Hi,
    Yes it does restore the image
    A: It says its completed
    B: If I reboot with the Acronis made CD I can see the data on both partitions

Identical yes, but for CPU speed and as far as I know that should not make a diff,
    The original is a twin 2.4 AMD
    The second is a twin 2.6 AMD
    But identical boards and chipsets + HDDs both set in the same RAID configuration.

After the restoration it comes up with the pop up stating that the restoration has completed. I exit out of the program, remove the CD as its booting and it gets to a flashing cursor and just hangs there.

Cheers
    Tony

8. Tonyh

Tonyh Registered Member

o_Oo_O? No reply?

9. Acronis Support

10. Tonyh

Tonyh Registered Member

Hi,
    I tried with both the floppy and CD,
    I get
    "No commands for booting operating system ( press any key to reboot )"

If I boot off the 2000 server CD and go to the reapair console, if I do a DIR of C:
    I get
    "An error occurred during directory enumeration"

If I boot off the Acronis made recovery CD I can see the files sitting on the c: and d: partitions.
    Cheers
    Tony

11. Acronis Support

Hello Tony,

This is really strange. Could you please create Acronis Report (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the instructions) and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly. If you do not get any response from Acronis Support Team please let me know your Acronis request # which will be sent to you in autoreply.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

12. ev351

ev351 Registered Member

Im having the same drama, except, im only trying to clone a simple xp partition. When i clone and try to boot fromt he cloned disk, i get 'error loading O/S" I tried the floppy download to fic the MBR, but i get the same error about 'no commands for botting os" Has anyone got anywhere with this yet?

13. Acronis Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.