Not automatically updating

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Clive T, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

We are a bit off topic, however, from the help file in the Beta version is the following:

DMON is a plug-in for NOD32 antivirus system that serves for scanning Microsoft Office documents and files downloaded automatically by Internet Explorer (e.g. Microsoft ActiveX elements). DMON provides an additional level of protection to AMON.

NOTE! DMON works only with applications that support the MS Antivirus API interface, such as Microsoft Office 2000 (version 9.0 and higher), or Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 5.0 and higher).

DMON can be activated by checking the check-box box below the DMON's status window. The window shows the total number of scanned, infected, and cleaned objects. It also displays the current version of the virus signature database.

Cheers :D

2. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Oh, but I have no way to back up my W98SE box.As for this new box, I do have CDRewrite which was a waste of money. I don't use it. I don't backup because I don't save anything important on my computer. I save all important documents on real paper and in a real folder. I would actually not mind that much loosing the contents of My Documents and even email as that would make everything fresh and new instead of cluttered with old stuff I should get rid of. The only things I would like to save on my computer you can't save with backup and that is all my settings. Restoring those would be time consuming and drive me nuts until I got everything back exactly as it was before I reformatted.

Your clients obviously aren't interested in the latest version of NOD and obviously have never had tech support tell them to reinstall nor do your clients play with other AV to see what they are like so that they can then make intelligent comments in the innumerable threads here and at dslr regarding NOD32 versus KAV?, NOD32 lighter on resources than PC-Cillin?, Which do you recommend as the best AV?, etc. To be convincing about NOD32 you need to have good knowledge of most of the rivals as well as NOD32. Plus, you need to trial the others before you renew NOD32 so you are sure you are getting the best one for your box and your surfing habits. This means a lot of installing and uninstalling. Plus, we all know the first thing tech support says is "have you uninstalled and reinstalled"?

Also do you think it nice to be called "NBf15e0Vd3zT", for instance, instead of by your name? I have never had a piece of software before that didn't use my name.

3. Blackspear

Put in a network card, and draw your data from one PC to the other.

Paper is NOT safe, several CD's/DVD's in various locations is far safer...

My clients are the average public, they just want a safe and secure PC, they aren't interested in playing around with software, they just want it to work silently in the background, and work well...

You are not called "NBf15e0Vd3zT", for instance, you are given a User access name for a piece of software, no different than logging on to internet banking...

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

When I log on to my banks I CHOOSE my user name and my password. That is my point. I cannot choose my user name with NOD32. It is given to me and it is not my name nor is it an alias that I have chosen. I have never seen this sort of behavior with any other software or any site be it banking or anything else. The user chooses their user name always except in the case of NOD32. And I do have a user name similar to the one I made up in the previous post.

Oh I have a network card in both machines and a router but I cannot get the XP machine to see the W98SE box. The old box sees the XP machine just fine. Anyhow, I don't want to network them because then I have run a firewall on the W98SE box if I take it off the router and need to use dialup when my cable modem ISP is down. I had to take down all the careful protection I had as far networking goes on that W98SE box in order to try and network it with the XP one. That is not good. Plus, even with XP, I can't make it really secure if I network.

As for which is safer, I vote for paper any day. I'm old fashioned and not about to change on this subject. My doctors still keep every record on paper thank goodness. I don't believe in over reliance on computers. They are fun but that is about it.

That is fine that your customers want an AV to work in the background. But does that mean that those of us who are into computers have to suffer? I don't know anyone on the internet who doesn't play with AV. But aside from that, wow, I can't believe your customers never have to reinstall NOD32 and never have to reformat and never upgrade NOD32 ...all situations where you need a user name and password made by the user! NOD32 is just plain backwards in this regard. Probably 90% of users never back up so they won't have those ridiculous, awful user names and passwords on CD. It is all these little things that add up to make me not able to recommend NOD32 to the average user. It is too quirky for the average user who will be mostly on their own as far as tech support goes anyway here in the USA.

5. Blackspear

Banks here in Oz, allocate a UN, usually a number, the password you have the option to change that after logging in for the first time.

Protection and networking for cross platform PC's is very simple and cheap, they're called web-safe routers (built in firewall). We sell dozens of these routers and network cross platform PC's all the time.

Paper is too easily lost, burnt, thrown out, eaten by insects etc. A burnt CD/DVD can be kept in a fireproof safe onsite and offsite, much safer... Our Doctors down here are all computerised, well the ones I see are, have been for quite some time :D

In a case where a customer has to reformat, 99% have a copy of their data or store it in My Documents, the 1% that don't, unfortunately learn the hard way, that being part of their responsibility of owning a computer is backing up important data, your data, your responsibility.

Where they have lost their UN and PW, we keep a copy as well as Rod.

All in all, each to their own Mele, we just try to advise our clients to do things the right way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.