Not an Acronis TI Archive...???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KennethS, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennethS

KennethS Registered Member

Howdy,

This is a strange one, and I will do my best to describe the situation clearly...

I have four systems on a lan. Let's call them A, B, C, and D.

A, B, and C, run TI V9 Home, and send their images to system D.

I was just working on system "A", and needed to restore a file from a recent image that I knew was on system "D."

To my shock, when I navigated to the image, I saw the message "The selected file is not an Acronis True Image Archive."

As I moved the cursor to all of the other images of system "A" I saw the same message.

Then, while still working on system "A", I browsed to images of systems "B" and "C." All of the system "B" images were fine, and all of the system "C" images produced the "not an Acronis True Image Archive" error.

At that point, I thought that I was in big trouble (because I will need many of the files that I thought to be in those images of system "A.")

But then, I had a thought:

I booted system "B" navigated to system "D" and browsed to the images of system "A" that appeared there. The acronis browser told me that they were all fine (please remember that when I viewed these very images from system "A" they produced the error.)

While still on system "B" I then tried to restore the file that I needed. I indicated that I wanted to put in on system "A", and it ran perfeclty.

So, with apology for all the detail, and hoping that I have described this clearly, I ask for help...

What might cause the images to look fine when viewed on one system, but look bad when viewed from another, and how might I avoid this problem in the future?

Very sincere thanks for any help on this,

Kenneth

2. KennethS

KennethS Registered Member

Hello again,

Well, it turned out to be a version conflict issue. Apparently, (at least in some situations) if the TI build that wrote the image is not the same as the TI build that views the image, I get the error I described above.

All the best,

Kenneth

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The "engine" and resulting file format were changed in Build 3567 so any archive created by 3567 or later must be read by 3567 or later.

Build 3567 and later can read both the new format and the old format; it is backwards compatible.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello KennethS,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that as you found out and seekforever mentioned the builds 3xxx of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home are based on the new "engine". The "old" and the "new" builds are backwards compatible, i.e. images created using "old" (2337 and earlier) should validate/restore fine using new builds (3567 and higher) while images created using the new builds might not validate/restore using the old builds. This also applies to Acronis True Image Bootable CD, namely, you can use Bootable CD created with the "new" builds to restore the image archives created with the "old" builds but not backward.

Therefore, we recommend that you create a new Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media using the latest build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.