not able to access Sata disk after cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by acuser, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acuser

acuser Registered Member

hello,
    I have a Sata disk and an Ide disk, the latter is a clone of the former.
    (I have WindowsXP, and True Image Home 10)
    From the Ide disk I am not able to access my Sata partitions, while under Computer->properties->storage->disk management both harddisks are shown.
    I installed the sata driver (on the ide disk) after I cloned the disk (not sure whether this is necessary as the Sata disk already has this driver). This time something has happened that prevents me to have access to my sata disk. Any ideas what goes wrong?
    This used to work when I had True Image Home 9 trial version, now it doesn't work anymore. I am not sure if the problem lies with XP (which has given me more surprises so far).

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Did you unplug the IDE drive after cloning ?

F.

3. acuser

acuser Registered Member

NO, I can access my Ide disk from Sata, but not vice versa. Thanks.

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

How are you switching between them as boot devices ?

Note that you need to disconnect the source drive for the first reboot after a clone operation so that the new disk installation does not confuse itself.

This is accepted wisdom, but I can't tell if it is relevant for your situation at this time.

F.

5. acuser

acuser Registered Member

I switch between the drives by setting in the bios which HD to boot first.
    I disconnected the Sata drive, booted the Ide one, and booted with the Sata drive connected again, but that made no difference.
    Is this action necessary after the cloning process has taken place? I don't see the point really. For some reason I cannot access my Sata filesystem anymore, I fail to see why it doesn't work.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  6. acuser

acuser Registered Member

Solved, In Computer Management, you have to assign drive letters to the drives of the other HD (right click, Change drive letters and paths). Strange that the OS doesn't do it automatically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.