Not a NOD problem I know but....

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by PMcQ, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PMcQ

PMcQ Registered Member

Ok, I just upgraded to the new verision, 2.0 of NOD32. I really like it so far and have gone through setting eveything up and so far it has worked very well. My question is that my system came with Norton(I know, I know :) and I have now gone through and disabled/stopped from loading at startup, everything from the programs options that I can find, yet when I restart my system I still have the Norton Autoprotect icon in my system tray with a red X on it saying it is disabled. How do I stop the Norton icon from loading? Apart from uninstalling it which several friends have recommended :) Again I know this is not ESET's problem but any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Pat

2. PMcQ

PMcQ Registered Member

Nevermind I found it, just had to read/look a litte bit more.

Pat

3. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

Well, perhaps its just me, but i NEVER run more than one AV ,on the same box.
    I know many have backupscanneres, and 100 firewalls on their box, but it s total overkill IMO.
    one good AV, one good trojan scanner & a good FW, and a periodic online scan with Panda or Housecall will do, for me anyway ;)
    Regards
    Ole

4. root

root Registered Member

A backup scanner (NOT monitor) for AV protection can come in handy if you get a questionable detection. Having a backup scanner installed should not cause any problems, but I have found on different systems, there can be conflicts for some strange reason.
    On my own machine, I will have problems with two AVs installed sometimes and have not been able to figure it out yet.
    As for Norton being installed already and it's paid for, if you can keep it out of resident memory it probably won't hurt anything.
    You are right about overkill on a lot of machines I hear people talking about Ole. Some people have so many security programs loading at boot, I don't know how their machines run. :D

5. PMcQ

PMcQ Registered Member

I agree, I have always used a backup on demand scanner, just in case. I now have NOD's Amon/Imon running as my on access scanner and Norton strictly on demand. I have read about Emon but being I do not have Outlook or Outlook Express installed on my system I guess it does not load. I have set up Imon for my email client (The Bat!) and tested it sending myself the eicar test file and it caught it just fine. I use BoClean as an on access AT and also have TDS3 as an on demand AT scanner. Look n Stop is the only firewall I need so that is all I have in regards to that. But thanks to all for your replies, peace.

Pat

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I agree with Root and I try to run a second scanner as a backup, in particular to check for false positives and to cover any disadvantages of my primary scanner e.g. the unpacking engine.

I use a second backup scanner on most of my machines except a laptop, that has ONLY Dr Web installed.

I know that some people have had no problems with this AV and other AV programs, but I have had great instability problems with Dr Web and a number of other AV's I have tried to install on the same machine.

This was despite unloading SpiderGuard and only installing the Scanner portion of the second AV.

For example, I have recently tried to run RAV as a background scanner, but again I had so many problems I had to uninstall RAV. Yet RAV runs without any problems on a second computer with F-Prot as the running guard!!!!

I guess on my machines, this Russian AV wants no competition whatsoever!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.