Noscript

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by max2, Nov 2, 2015.

1. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Because it was there first and already had the whitelist. Scriptblocker has an easily accessible text file format whitelist which I can cut and paste. As I said, they complement each other. There is some overlap but there are other areas where they don't. Plus a second chance to catch something if I miss it the first time.

2. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Thanks Daveski, I will look at Prefbar too.
    Just one question though, if you toggle JS to on are you asked if you want to whitelist that particular website ? or can you toggle on/off without it being whitelisted.

Thanks

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

AFAIK it just toggles on/off. I kinda like that simplicity lol.

4. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

I am curious to know on what areas both differ, since a quick glance at it <scriptblocker> feels like both together are redundant. (Though i might have to insist that i am not current uMatrix user (and never installed scriptblocker).

I use uBlock Origin with Medium blocking mode + pop-up + web fonts switch turned on. (Along with click-to-play for plugins in the browser)..

5. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Scriptblocker is solid and baseline and lets you build up a plain text whitelist domain by domain. uMatrix has a wider scope, more options and is much easier to reconfigure on the fly. Facebook and Google are moving targets that are constantly updated and I often tweak the settings. I find Facebook particularly challenging and more of a security concern due to the many external links that can be put up by anyone. I read a lot of news stories linked to and I've had many links blocked by uMatrix's host files. The ones that get through are generally overloaded with js and ads even if they are legit and having two layers of js script filtering and blocking is not a bad thing. If I went to just one script blocker for Chromium browsers, it would be uMatrix.

6. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

If you mark an item 'untrusted' in NoScript and later want to change/reverse that to 'trusted', how do you do it?

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

There is a couple of ways to do that. One way is to open the NoScript Options > Whitelist and add the address of the web site > Allow.

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You could also open NoScript menu, hover the browser over Untrusted, that would show all blacklisted domains in the site you are visiting and click Allow sitename.exe. Thats an easy way to do it while visiting a site where you want to white list a domain that is blacklisted. You also have the option to click Temporarily allow sitename.exe. If you click that option the domain will go out of your blacklist, scripts will be allowed to run from that domain until you close the browser and it wont remain in your white list after closing the browser.

untitled2.JPG

Bo

9. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How do you access the 'menu' you're showing? I can't find it anywhere and I'm using the same version of NoScript that you are.

10. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Hover over "S" bottom right corner or just click it to get the lists.
    NoScript-.png

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  11. bo elam

As with other things in Firefox, it can be customized to our personal liking. When you install NoScript, the S is placed to the right of the Navigation toolbar. I place it at the bottom right corner in my Status bar, on top of the clock. If you don't see it anywhere, then you need to click Customize, after you find it, drag it where you feel more comfortable to use it from. Next to the S, I also place a button for temporarily allowing scripts and one for revoking temporary permission. To open the NoScript menu, as mentioned by act8192, you hover the browser over the S or you click the drop down menu (what I do).

Sin título.png

Bo

12. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Okay, that's what I thought. But in the case of this particular Wilders page that we're on, when I hover over the 'S' all I see is the following:

Mark wilderssecurity.com as Untrusted

13. bo elam

Yes, thats because the only scripts that run in this site are from wilderssecurity.com. If you click to untrust wilderssecurity, you ll be blacklisting wilderssecurity.com. You dont want to do that since you come here often. You want wilders in your white list.

Bo

14. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I couldn't agree more. And not only for Chromium but also for Firefox.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.