Noscript Firefox Add-on kills Google search history

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Noscript is a very useful and almost vital Add-on in Firefox. It works superbly, but it disables the Google toolbar search history drop down tab and also the SEARCH box which reverts back to the output listing.

When Noscript is enabled, this history drop down and search reclaim is completely killed.

When Noscript is disabled, everything goes back to normal, the history drop down shows browsing data and clicking the search brings back the search output.

SO - either we have Noscript enabled and lose all our Google search history on the drop down tab, plus the ability to recover our search listing or we disable Noscript and do without it.

It would be so nice if the Father of Noscript Giorgio Maone would carry out some surgery on Noscript so that the Google toolbar search history and output listing would not be euthanized.

John Bull

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Have you checked your NoScript settings? Have you reported the problem to Giorgio Maone ? What does he say about it? That is your best recourse to help fix the problem.

-- Tom

3. John Bull

Sent a copy of my post with a few comments to Giorgio today - 17th March as you suggested.
    Thanks
    John Bull

4. John Bull

SOLUTION FOUND

I did browse the Web before posting this problem. There were many references to it in Forums etc. but I never found any solution given. That is why I asked the Wilders Wonders for help, hoping somebody knew how to cure the problem.

By chance while waiting for Giorgio`s reply to my Gmail, I found - InformAction Forums. This very problem was discussed in detail and Giorgio Maone posted a fix that works 100%. He has since confirmed it in his Gmail reply.

The solution is to go to Noscript>Options>Whitelist and enter - "File://."
    Once this is done, everything works perfect.

Giorgio`s Forum post is :- http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab327/johnbull17/GiorgioNoscript.jpg

Sorry to deal with an old hat subject, but even TODAY users are hitting this problem and do not know how to cure it, try ME for starters.

John Bull

5. Basic

Basic Registered Member

Thank you,

I was just starting to troubleshoot when I found this thread.

6. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Good to hear you resolved the problem JB - I wonder if you or another FF user
    can help re. my problem ? - I didn't want Noscript to keep any History in my case, in fact in the top RH corner of FF I deleted Google, Yahoo and the others but can't get rid of the one remaining, 'Creative Commons'.

However what I really want to check if possible is why ?, after deleting Google from FF,
    I still get Googles's 64.233.189.101 or 74.125.109.85 showing up in Curr Ports
    (via FF) as a connection, even though I simply open a blank FF and sit there watching for 60 seconds
    without doing anything else, suddenly the Google IP's 'Establish' ?

Is the only work around to block those Ip's in my FW and only 'Allow' when I
    need to use Google ?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  7. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I don't know the specifics on those connections, but if you have Firefox configured for "Block reported attack sites" or "Block reported web forgeries" then it makes contact with the Google Safe Browsing Service
    http://code.google.com/apis/safebrowsing/firefox3_privacy_faq.html

8. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Ah, thanks very much Mvario - I probably have the items to which you refer, am using IE at the minute but will check FF's configs. after - It looks as though I can't have the benefits without the bugbear.

9. mvario

mvario Registered Member

My pleasure. If you're using something like WOT or something else that blocks malware sites then the built in checker is probably redundant. In that case you could probably turn it off.

Also Firefox talks to Google Location Services for geolocation resolution, though I don't know if it opens up communications at all unless you go to a site that requests geolocation info.

And if you have the Google Gears or Google Maps plugins they talk to Google. Or Google bar. Heck, with some Google product installs you'll find a Google Updater plugin installed in Firefox and that surely talks to Google. So you might want to look at your plugins list for any of those. I kind of swore off Google stuff just because of all the updaters they installed (startup programs, services, scheduled tasks, and plugins)

10. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Yes, thanks again Mvario you are correct, I do have WOT on both, FF and IE,
    I went into FF -Tools -Options -Security and unchecked both the items you mentioned earlier, now I need to just check if there's any sign of Google still calling home or not.

I don't have any Google plugins because I too want the least Google possible
    on my machine, I don't like any App. calling home on some pretext but it's becoming increasingly difficult to know when they are for us and when against.

Kind Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.