NOS32 causing grief!! Please Help!!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by drmef, Sep 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drmef

drmef Registered Member

Thanks for trying to help. I am using a DSL connection with about 2500k download speed. The abort message comes on for a split second and then the window above just shows idle. When it has downloaded in the past, you could see the download occurring... fast. I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED THAT POP-UP WINDOW SAYING VERSION AND DATABASE DEFINITIONS ARE CURRENT!!! Perhaps I should reinstall NOD32 (can it be done directly over the existing version or do you have to do an uninstall first... and if so, how?). Something is definitely wrong with the program and it's getting to the point of no return. Apparently their support is just as bad!! Do I sound upseto_O I am, but I do sincerely appreciate the efforts being made by users on the forum to help. Beginning to wonder if changing antivirus programs was a big mistake... and, yes, I did uninstall and delete all files, directories and registry entries for Norton Antivirus 2004 Pro using jv16 Powertools before installing NOD32.

2. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Ohh Lord.............. I've been using NOD32 for over two years and today i found out that it doesn't quarantine it just stores them... :oops:

I always thought was strange about quarantine, since no one esle complained I thought it was me. :D

BTW do you have it set to Silent Mode under system tools?

3. drmef

drmef Registered Member

Yes, I find the fact that it doesn't truly quarantine frustrating. It means that if there is a questionable "virus" that has to be sent to support, it's sitting on your computer for days possibly causing damage rather than being quarantined.

And, yes, it was set to silent mode. Thank you!! The message now popped up. BTW, I just got a new update (1.881).

4. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

desktop lay-out changing

Hello,

the problem of the desktop lay-out changing can be solved by installing the freeware utility "Icon_restore.exe". After installing there are 2 extra options selectable by right-clicking the 'my computer'-icon: "save desktop lay-out" and "restore desktop lay-out" . It works great.

Kind regards,

PeterVO

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Your program is functioning normally, it is also updating normally, other than the popup that has now been addressed, I don’t see any other issue. Other than you have not advised us if your system comes up clean after a scan in SAFE MODE.

You have been helped in the “Eset official forum” (here), within 23 minutes of you writing, and this was me taking that time to write a response to you, surely this cannot be seen as bad?

As I have said further up, it is safe to Quarantine a file and delete, even if found to be a false positive, as Quarantining allows restoration of the file at a later date, if the need arrises…

You received all previous updates as well, as per the logs you posted here.

Good to see you have had a result in relation to your settings being changed to “silent mode”, now back to default, everything is normal…

Cheers :D

6. Blackspear

I know what you mean Brian, I was stunned when I first found out, as you can see from the links I provided further up this thread. I haven’t a problem with it’s function, I do have a problem with the word Quarantine being used. This needs to be changed to something more appropriate that describes Esets function, such as “Make Secure Copy to enable further analysis”.

Thank you for your suggestion that did the trick…

7. QuinnK

QuinnK Registered Member

Getting false positives whenever running complete TrojanHunter scan:

I haven't thought of a good reason to have Amon running during a TrojanHunter scan, so I temporarily disable it when running such other scans.

Take care... Quinn

8. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

You are welcome, Blackspear. I'm just glad it worked. :)

9. drmef

drmef Registered Member

**(SORRY FOR ALL THE CAPS BELOW... I'M NOT YELLING, JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE MULTIPLE QUOTES IN A REPLY)**

10. Blackspear

No problem at all. I have just dropped my reply into MS Word and removed the Caps for easier reading…

Our pleasure, and this is also why they have a forum, it can take some of the pressure off a Support Section ;)

This has also been added to the “Future changes for Nod32” sticky thread at the top of the forum, as in to have “Program Component Updates” set to download by default…

In regards to the latest virus signature, by manually pressing “Update Now”. I advise ALL of my clients to do the following:

“…at least once a day you check and know for sure that Nod32 is actually up-to-date, just to be sure, it is a man-made program and one day it will fail, you DO NOT want to find out there was a problem with updating 3 months ago. This is just an additional security step to make it that little bit safer.”

Occasionally there will be a “False Positive”, and these can be sent to Eset to be checked out, once discovered Eset usually respond pretty quickly…

AMON will not allow an infected file to be attached to an outgoing email…

As has been discussed elsewhere, this issue (24/7 day tech support) is currently being addressed, it does take time to train up staff…

No, I am not an Eset employee; I am a Reseller of Nod32 in Australia.

“Actual ESET Staff” are on the forum every day, and some of them are here on their own time, after hours and on weekends… They are a dedicated lot, as are many of the members that frequent this forum and other forums throughout this site…

No mixed messages, as I have stated, “…quarantining allows restoration of the file at a later date, if the need arises…”

Addressed above, press update now. Your problem was due to altering settings that had Nod32 remain silent…

I have suggested a default fully maximized button for Nod32, so that in the situation you have found yourself in, we could simply have said, press this button…

No problem in deleting a suspect file, so long as you have Quarantine checked, before doing so…

I always run a scan using “Clean”.

There has been the odd case that a sequential number is missed by Eset, as to why, I do not know. If you have the latest virus signature, you will have all virus patterns available…

My pleasure…

Thank you, and all the best to you as well…

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.