Norton's "Idle Time Optimizer" and possible warning!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ratchet, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I posted the following question on their forum. I want to put it out here too.
    "I've been using the A-V for three years now and just today noticed "Idle Time Optimizer." My system only utilizes a SSD on x64 W7 SP1, thus have TRIM enabled/defragmentation disabled. Has Norton been able to override the disabled defragmentation? If that is the case, Norton should warn their customers who are running SSDs. Thank you!"
    As you can probably infer, by default it defragments at 7:00PM (my system). I just discovered this and have disabled it but hope it hasn't been doing it since the end of May when I built this PC. Admittedly though, I can't find any evidence of any kind of SSD degradation using Kingston's monitoring tools.
    Response!
    "Hi,

Norton products are aware of SSDs and do not attempt to defrag them.

Stay well and surf safe
    Dick
    Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V20"

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That was the response I expected. The Idle Time Optimizer does things other than defrag, and should not defrag a SSD. Nothing to see here. ;)

3. ratchet

Like what? I might want to re-enable it!

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I can't remember as I don't have it currently installed, but I think if you open Norton and look at the tasks there is a list of things affected by the optimizer. If you don't find it I may install it somewhere and look at it later.

5. ratchet

Thank you but don't worry about it unless you are really curious yourself. I'd checked my system scheduled tasks and Norton's events when first discovering this issue. Besides scheduled scans there was something else too (Norton task) but not sure what the source was.
    Just checked, Norton error analyzer and Norton error processor. Neither sounds like they are related to the Optimizer.

6. er34

er34 Guest

Hi ratchet, the last Norton version I used was version 2012. Versions 2009/2010/2011/2012 included optimizer and it was supposed to defragment the drives. I doubt they have changed it. Idle time optimizer does include defragmentor- check here.
    I think you must be 100% sure SSDs are skipped - otherwise your SSD might get corrupted sooner. Currently on their forum I don't see an answer from a mod or Symantec employee but from the so called gurus which is not official. It is difficult to find positive confirmation "Yes, we do defragment SSDs" .

If you like Norton and Symantec, to be 100% sure about your SSDs that costs a lot of $ I'd recommend you change to Symantec Endpoint Protection small business edition - single copy costs only 30$ and you can get it from Symantec site. It includes much more configuration than Norton itself and includes business support. End users can buy it, too. This version for sure does NOT contain optimizers/defrag./etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
  7. er34

er34 Guest

Code:
    Idle Time Optimizer lets you configure Norton AntiVirus to defragment your boot volume or the local disk that contains boot volume when your computer is idle
    Optimization rearranges file fragments into adjacent or contiguous clusters in the hard disk. It improves the computer performance by reading the files into the memory faster. Optimization also maximizes the usable free space on a disk by grouping most frequently used files and infrequently used files. In addition, it consolidates free space to avoid fragmenting newly added files.
    https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v29162440_NAV_Retail_2011_5_en_us

Learn to use Google if you are not sure about what you post :) :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.