norton subscription!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by future sheperd, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. future sheperd

future sheperd Registered Member

hi guys, my nortons has just expired and im about to renew it, the problem is this

when i first bought nortons, it was on a disk, so i installed it on 2 machines (that are networked).

now when it comes to renewing the subcription symanec says something like "for only 1 machine ".

im thinking should i buy nortons 2005 again on disk and put it on my 2 machines, or
    do you think i can renew the sub by download and have it working on both machines.

your thoughts please!

thankyou

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey fs,

I have moved your thread to a more appropriate forum where it might get better attention.

Regards,
    Bubba

3. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I will be the first one to say to get rid of Norton, I have no reasons besides it being personal. In my opinion Norton gets extremely intertwined in your system and is a bugger to remove. But on the other hand I have seen reviews where Norton2005 did do well in testing scenarios. So it is all up to you. I personally would change vendors before buying another Norton product. .02

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well,

Norton is not that bad for everyone y'know, so dont get discouraged, let more replies flow in ;)

Have a nice day.

Regards,
    Firecat

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I wonder why they don't pre-install BitDefender 8 AV. Or NOD32. Great stuff.

6. Firecat

B'coz they get more money in making deals with Symantec than any other company.

7. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Are you saying that the license for the Norton you purchased on disk originally was only supposed to be installed on one machine but you put it on two and now your worried that when you try to renew it won't let you renew on two?

Thanks,

Chris

8. Firecat

How'd you get it working, escaping Activation and all?

9. future sheperd

future sheperd Registered Member

hi guys, judging from some of the responses i must be a secret hacker on a sub consious level... ha !

all i did is install on one machine then install on the other, with the same password and everything.

i also do weekly auto updates and its been working great!.

if not nero can anyone recommend any other internet security software.

thanks again.

10. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Internet suites aren't good.
    I recommend NOD32 plus Look'n'Stop as firewall.
    www.nod32.com and www.looknstop.com
    In Wilders, you can found the official forums of Look'n'Stop and NOD32. But in case you need to protect 2 PCs, you need to purchase two licenses for NOD and Look'n'Stop.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The last Nortons I bought I got from sellers on ebay. Much cheaper. The Mdafee AVs are really cheap.

Jerry

12. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Jerry - Great idea! Some things you can get so much cheaper on Ebay.

Future Shepard - Ethical considerations aside, this is an interesting question with far reaching ramifications. I too am networked, only there is no file sharing just connection sharing. I have NAV2003 and NPF2003 which I continue to update. Could the other computer install in use them? Well, honestly, the mere prospect of installing and uninstalling them is enough to discourage me, but could the updater tell it was a different computer requesting updates? My guess would be yes. Could I download the updates and then share the files? My guess would be yes, though I would not do it.

- HandsOff

13. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

It's a moral question I suppose.

If you have 2 networked machines that are used only by yourself or family then I don't see a problem. You pay for a personal licence and that is what you are using it for - PERSONAL USE.

14. Firecat

But then how will Symantec know whether your using it for personal use? In such cases they might:

1)Restrict updates to either one computer
    2)Allow both computers to update - one at a time
    3)terminate the license (this is brute force and I dont suppose it will happen)

Its just my guessing, I'm not sure of any of this.

Regards,
    Firecat

15. dog

dog Guest

Being of personal use, doesn't allow you to install the software and any computer you own.

I believe the EULA Norton uses, is industry standard in this regard, 1 license = 1 copy installed. That's it, that's all. :)

What methods/abilities they use/have to control/monitor, I don't know. But your machine ID and subscription ID would be recorded with any updates. If they felt necessary they could void your subscription, and/or could seek to collect damages (although the second would be unlikely, the first is certainly probable.)

Our conscience should lead us to do the right thing. ;)

Regards,

Steve

16. HandsOff

Does my machine have an ID? I was under the impression that I could change it whenever I like.

- HandsOff!

17. Firecat

Well...Activation automatically creates a machine ID and a Product ID based on your software and hardware configuration, therefore every machine will be assigned an ID by Activation.

Regards,
    Firecat

18. Madorion

Madorion Registered Member

I agree with Firecat.....Profiles are created with hardware/software installed. Norton, till 2004 has been very forgiving of people multi-using their disks..... but now has come of age. Expect some type of recourse if you use their software on two pc's. It's a trend many software companies are now adopting.......but not all.

19. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello future sheperd,

Two points:

There are multiple license deals, from two on up, at places such as New Egg, etc, search.

If you have shared systems, then you have the ability to do reciprical scans, so if you have two different AV's, that can be an advantage off-setting the bigger outlay.

Regards - Charles

20. HandsOff

i know that a ID is assigned at installation, but I also know that it is quite possible to have many ID's at the same time. I always took it for granted that you could make your own number. I don't see how it could be assured that a number is unique, since it is assigned befor you connect. I did not realize that it was supposed to be used to identify you. That is a very scary concept. Plus, what happens when you re-install? You don't have the same ID anymore. Don't tell me Norton is going to disable a clients virus protection every time they reinstall Windows? That is sure to win lots of customer's hearts!

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.