Norton removal question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by roark37, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hello,

I just got a new pc with Vista and Norton Internet Security 2008 came with it for a free trial. I did not click continue when first starting the computer when the Norton window came up and instead just closed and then removed Norton from the startup. Apparently this must not be enough as my firewall keeps getting periodic prompts that Symantec is trying to access the internet. After seeing these I went into Windows services and I see 3 or 4 Symantec services running. Can I safely turn all these off until I remove Norton permanently? Similarly when I was looking into services I noticed that there was one for HP Health or something like that. I had already got the HP Total Care stopped from startup and no longer showing in the taskbar but can I also safely turn off the service as well? There seemed to be bunch of useless other services in there but I better save those questions for another time.

I do want to get rid of Norton completely though. Do you recommend the removal tool? And if you use the tool should you first remove through the uninstaller or don't bother with that method at all?

Thanks and any advice appreciated.

roark

2. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I really recommend to use the removal tool. First uninstall through the uninstaller, then use the removal tool from Symantec.

3. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I've read in other threads to either use add/remove programs or the removal tool or a combination of both. So I would first run the removal tool and then see of those services are still running. Also, use search to find any 'symantec' folders and delete them all. There maybe one or two however that will not allow you to delete them because they are usually locked. Google 'unlocker' and use that tool to delete them safely. After than, reboot then check the services again. If there's still any running you can safely delete them. I personally use The Ultimate Troubleshooter by Answersthatwork to manage any services/tasks/startup programs. It will also recommend what to disable from startup also. Finally, if you feel knowledgeable, you can search the registry for any symantec keys and delete those also. Hope this helps.

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

And after that, you will need to delete additional folders that even the removal tool leaves behind. Use CCleaner to safely cleanse the registry and manually delete other Symantec folders that are left behind- and there are several.

5. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Thanks to everyone for your answers and suggestions.

roark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.