Norton personal firewall in Norton internet security 2006

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by novicestill, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novicestill

novicestill Registered Member

I would like to know if i get better protection if I customize the personal wall. If I do, what should I check off for customizing it. It is set at medium as a default.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

I would suggest setting the security to high. The default and automatic rules should afford you good protection. Being a rule based firewall there is lots of tweaking you could do, just a matter of how comfortable you are in doing it. Anything in particular you had in mind?

Regards,

CrazyM

3. novicestill

novicestill Registered Member

Thanks. I just set it on high. Somehow I think the free zonelab is better than the Personal firewall in Norton.

If "sheilds up" says all my ports to 1059 is stealth, does this mean that I shouldn't need to worry about disabling scripting, java and active x and then sites that i trust in the trusted site?

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Network traffic (ports, firewall rules) and active content (java, active x) are two different things and need to addressed separately. NIS has the firewall and IDS to deal with network traffic. It also has options for defining active content for users and sites. If you take a look at Customizing AtGuard/NIS rules, it will provide you with some information on the configuration options available in NIS. There is all kinds of information in the help file, but it can be a little overwhelming the first time you wade in there.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.