Norton Launches 2012 Products

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by malexous, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Hmmm....next week.....o_O?

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Yeah, I have an SSD as a system drive, so I have both the "optimizer" in NIS and the regular Windows defragmenter disabled.

3. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

4. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

5. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I like the fact that Chrome is now supported fully! It's working perfectly for me. I am as happy as can be with my setup.

I download something off Internet with Chrome [sandboxed in SBIE] --> Forced sandboxed folder --> Norton Insight scans the file --> Good? Then move it outside download directory and install. Bad? Execute file inside download directory which is forced sandboxed in SBIE to test it along with Buster's Sandbox Analyzer.

Extremely light setup! And oh how safe! :)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  6. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Wait until you encounter a Norton targeted malware and disables it.:p :D

7. shadek

shadek Registered Member

How would that happen? All unsecure software are sandboxed (incl. browser, so no attack from there either).

8. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

that can happen with any AV

9. shadek

shadek Registered Member

The risk is extremely small with a properly configured Sandboxie.

10. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Yes,i know that could happen to any AV.
    Indeed,the odds to encounter the "proper" malware to disable your AV is small...but it exists.

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

there should be no such risk at all with sandboxing of any type:-all decisions should be yours

12. ace11

ace11 Registered Member

13. King Grub

Yeah, I know people will look for excuses for that fail, but it looks like it simply didn't detect that rootkit, with any of the layers of protection, not by definitions and not with SONAR. Of course, nothing is 100% and this will happen to any and all security products, but a fail it was.

Worse, though, I think, is the fact that Norton was killed so easily by the malware.

14. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

15. NNard

NNard Registered Member

That is why an image backup is very important:)

16. ExtremeGamerBR

Certainly you're right! :thumb:

17. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yes. Layered setup (I'm running NIS 2012 with Sandboxie for untrusted applications) is the only way to stay somewhat safe!

18. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Even scarier (more scary) :doubt: :doubt: :doubt:

The Beta test 2 months ago by the same reviewer also failed for the same reason -- malware disabled and deleted NIS and allowed 70 malware files onto the system.

19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Image backups and rollback programes,while useful in restoring the pc to working condition isnt going to un-compromise bank details or passwords that have been stolen from any malware/rootkit infection though :eek:

20. ExtremeGamerBR

Exactly. So I'm starting to use KeyScrambler on my machines. To help in at least one afterinfection.

Not much I talk. It was something I did not expect.

21. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I see no UAC prompts in the video. Rootkits can't disable security products when they are executed under standard user accounts.

Most of the attacks can be prevented by using non admin user account

-http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/report-64-of-all-microsoft-vulnerabilities-for-2009-mitigated-by-least-privilege-accounts/5964-

The reviewer favors a security product that essentially reduces the rights of unknown executables

22. King Grub

Absolutely, but lets face it: the vast majority of computer users can't and won't be bothered to be logged in as anything but administrator.

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding the previous test of the beta, do you know if the same malware was used? I confirmed that he's using Windows 7 Home Premium and he must have UAC turned off since there are no prompts, but he didn't say so. I feel it's valid to test NIS with default settings since many users will not change them, but it would also be good to test with the settings turned up, such as Boot Time Protection set to Aggressive instead of normal. NIS 2012 by default is also using Smart Definitions instead of downloading the full sig database and that can be changed.

Regarding the comment that NIS was "killed", this is a bit of hyperbole. It doesn't really matter whether the security product is just bypassed or deleted as well. I've seen this often with older versions of AVG, where it is completely erased by the malware. Sometimes though the security app is just disabled and after the malware is removed it begins functioning again, but practically it doesn't matter because the app is not working while the system is infected. More generally I think Languy needs to be more precise in his observations. For instance he opened the folders where NIS is installed and decided that it had been partially erased by the malware, but he didn't check the file list against a fresh install of NIS - he expressed an opinion which he didn't verify and demonstrate to the viewers. While I think his test provides useful information it would be a lot better if he used more professional methodology. For instance he should state which version of Windows he's using, whether it 32 or 64 bit, UAC On or Off, did he confirm the system was clean before he installed NIS and started the test, etc. More attention to detail is needed. Still, if I worked at Symantec I'd be looking closely at the apparent vulnerability uncovered here.

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

True because the Admin account is the default and many users don't know how or why to change defaults. Still, in the video UAC was apparently turned off since it would prompt in an Admin account as well (just not require different credentials) and there were no prompts. UAC Off is not a default.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  25. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Something is fishy in this video and to be honest, this is the first time that I've seen Norton failed.
    He used to make good reviews back in the day, but the last year or two every video is "Comodo is the best, every other product fails".
    That's the whole purpose of his "reviews".
    Besides, I can make a video making Comodo fail with every single link or piece of malware in the hard drive, I start by "it's updated as you can see, settings are at default, let's start...." , then I pause the video, disable the protection, let the malware go through, then I go "Oh..what's this in memory..." , I mean you can do it in hundreds of ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.