Norton IS 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'd like to ask why are the Smart Definitions are disabled by default, and should it be enabled along with remove infected compressed files in the computer settings window, Also should remove risks automatically be turned on or off?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

if you have remove risk on auto there is a chance, in case of a false positive, that a good app is removed.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

do not enable remove compressed files option. if one file in the archive is infected the whole archive will be deleted.

smart definitions are designed for slower internet connections and smaller hard drives. it didnt make any difference on my computers.

I prefer to get warning about possible files rather than automatic.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The term "Smart Definitions" is a bit of a misnomer since it's a limited set of signatures - enabling SD would potentially reduce protection, not improve it especially if the PC is not connected to the internet. I turn on the option to remove infected compressed files - the only compressed files I have are downloaded installers so if there's an embedded virus I want the file deleted. Regarding removing risks automatically, I leave this off on my own system, but I turn it on for people that I believe will have a problem figuring out how to respond to a question about a detection. I think the risk of infection is greater than the risk of false positives. But as they say, YMMV :) All in all a very good suite IMHO.

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

They are disabled because the full complete set of signatures provides information against more threats and the smart definitions.

Smart definitions are 30% smaller than the full complete Intelligent updates , they doesn't include information for threats Symantec Security Response believe are no longer alive.

When installing Norton on customers' computers I enable Smart Defintions for those with slower processor or less RAM , and of course to those who still think Norton is the culprit for all the bad things in this world. I still see people who start to panic and deny when they see Norton because they still think Norton of giant sluggish bear.

6. epigraph

epigraph Registered Member

If you don't need to save bandwidth, just leave it untouched. This setting is used to save bandwidth on 3G of dial up connections.

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Aint that the truth. :doubt:
    Symantec just wont listen.
    So many threads here there an everywhere about these 'feature' sets and wot a pita they can be. :p

8. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Symantec employees are not sitting here and everywhere watching people's public threads . If you want to provide an opinion , this can be done if you open the interface of Norton program and click on Feedback. They may also responde.

Additionally , there is a special forum section in the Norton Community about this.

9. drakester

drakester Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.