Norton IS 2007 or Norton 360?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hangetsu, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

I've been asked to set up a security suite for a family member who bought a new PC -- They purchased Norton Internet Security 2007 and Norton 360 (they'll return the one not installed), as they've used Symantec in the past. They're stuck on Norton, else I would put them on NOD32 or KIS :D

Given these two options, which one is more EFFECTIVE? I see really little info on Symantec's site, other than that NIS is more configurable while 360 is more "behind the scenes". So, for anyone that's used them:

1) How is performance with these suites? I've heard Symantec has done a great job in this regard over previous years. How much RAM / processor do they suck up? My brother plays video games online, so I want to make sure web performance is good for him. While I don't expect NOD32 utilization, if memory use is around 30MB when not running an AV scan I'm good.

2) Is one more effective than the other, in any of the categories (firewall, av, as)?

3) What's your experience been like with the products? I'm not worried about complexity, as my brother is pretty good technically, and I'm the one setting it up. I just want to make sure they work, and work without bringing the PC to a crawl.

I still wouldn't use it myself (yes yes, I've tried converting them... :p ), but I admit I'm curious to see how they will do, since its been about 3 years since I tried a Symantec product. Looking forward to the replies!

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well dont use norton 360 since it doesnt even have rightclick scanning and has to much crap.
    norton 2007 is meant to be alot better than the old versions of norton and since they already brought it might as well install it.
    lodore

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

norton 2007 is a fantastic suite,

send the 360 back. :D

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Always use the highest release number : so Norton IS 2007 is your best choice. Sometimes, it's easier than you think. :D

5. Hangetsu

I think 360 is the latest, but its supposed to be the contender against Microsoft's OneCare (i.e. it expects you know nothing).

Thanks for the replies, I had no idea about the lack of on-demand scanning in 360, that's terrible!

6. Hangetsu

CSJ - What's the utilization like on 2007? The machine I'm putting it on has a GB of RAM. I remember the old Norton suites having 60MB of RAM and continuous 20% processor utilization, here's hoping its better than that!

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont know, you should ask bigc

i think its about 30mb ram and no cpu *lol*

i DO know its a whole lot faster and lighter than previous norton suites.

8. Hangetsu

LOL, no worries, thanks!

9. ink

ink Registered Member

NIS is better than 360, full of bugs.

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Nis 2007 does run light. 22.1mb

Attached Files:

11. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

I would reccomend NIS 07 for the more expirenced user who wants to tweak the settings :thumb: Was betatesting 360 and didn't experince any bugs at all in the final release, but I have other programs doing what 360 does (backup, cache cleaning etc.) :)

12. Siro

Siro Registered Member

I would recommend NIS 2007 because if they have been using norton products before I suppose they are'nt that novice a user or user's :) . The 360 version I beta tested too was bug free till the final release time and its meant for users who are completely novice and have very basic or limited computing skills or knowledge.Norton 360 too me seemed okay in terms of usage of resources and considering a gigabyte of ram is common in pc nowadays the 360 suite should work fine on the rig, and since NIS 2007 has more advanced features for the intermediate and experienced user to tinker around with, my choice is NIS 2007. Hope so this helps.

13. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well again my good friend has started posting -ve reviews of norton even though he hasn't used norton,by his own admission,in a long time......

I would say nis07 will be a much better option as it offers a hassle-free protection...
    And plzzzzzzzzzzz if earlier versions of norton haven't done wel....it does not mean the new one will not...
    atleast try before posting -ve reviews of a product...

14. Siro

Siro Registered Member

May be now it is time for him to finally try it on his own :)

15. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

and he is one of the guys who have posted in this thread....

16. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Hello!

I just tested Norton 360 for a few days (AMD 3200+ 1GIG RAM) on my laptop.
    It runs smoothly and fine. Speedy browsing experience compared to KIS for example.

If your family member prefers non obtrusive security just install 360. No need for NIS 2007.

17. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

My vote is for NIS '07 (of course :) )

18. Siro

Siro Registered Member

Sorry friend no pun intended.

19. Hangetsu

Well, I went ahead and did the only thing an inquisitive mind could do... I had em keep both :D . They got Norton 360 and I'm going to put NIS 2007 on an old machine at my house tonight.

From what I saw last night... If Norton 360 works as well as the reviews say (yes, paid reviews, but reviews nonetheless), then this is a pretty awesome release for Norton. REAL light on resources, easy to use.

However, why for the life of me didn't they include an on-demand scan optiono_O? If you want to scan anything, you have to scan EVERYTHING. Ugh. Supposedly it scans all files accessed, changed, etc. real-time, but I still like having that option available.

I'll keep you posted.

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

360 doesnt have right click scanning, i could not live with this, and i pretty much hate all this backup stuff, good if you need or want it tho.

21. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I always thought it was strange for 360 to not have scanning available via context menu.

22. Hangetsu

It would (did!) drive me nuts too, no doubt. However, I thought about it a little more -- For non-technical users, wouldnt this be bloat (given that most users don't even bother scanning things they download)? Per Symantec, all files accessed, written, downloaded, etc. are scanned real-time - That (along with a scheduled full scan) *should* suffice if practicing safe hex.

From that perspective, I can understand to some extent. Still drives me nuts though :D

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Norton what!?

24. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Concerning the right click scanning...how many times in a day your family member want use that? :p

25. Hangetsu

Fair enough... Its just a big perception shift is all (I'm used to having the freedom to scan files when I want). As long as the protection is there, its good to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.