Norton IS 2007 Launched

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Legendkiller, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Just received e-mail from beta coordinator that beta testing for atleast IS,for which i had signed is over.
    I cannot find any reference to this effect on their website,but in the e-mail it says "it has been shipped"

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Maybe they are doing the maketing job for the launch, or in RC phrase.

3. Legendkiller

dude,its very clear from the e-mail that beta-testing is over and it has been shipped.
    what i feel,like you,is that they are doing the marketing stuff right now,so it might take them a couple of weeks or so.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

5. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

yea they sure did & they did offer to cover 3 pc's but I'm curious if you upgrade this offer would still apply?

6. GS2

GS2 Registered Member

I wondered why one of the 'high street' PC shops were bundling 'Go Back' and NIS 2006 together for about £25 here in UK - makes sense now there is a new one coming out :)

7. Legendkiller

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I have been running NIS2007 on my computer w/o any problems for the past few hours. The interface will take some getting used to but, I like it better than the 2006 version... Overall the security suite itself is more responsive (GUI opens instantly) and I don’t get any lag when opening apps like firefox, ms office, visual studio, etc. I also notice that in the 2007 version there is no way to change the sensitivity level of Norton’s bloodhound heuristics. It seems that NIS2007 has a new file submission feature that you can access in the logging area. For the most part, the configuration settings are the same as they were in the 2006 version. I’m actually pretty happy with NIS2007 and think I will stick with it for the time being, until something new comes along.

9. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Could you tell me if the antispam module will work with email programs other than Outlook and OE? I use The Bat!. Can it be trained using other email programs? Thanks.

10. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

if I'm not mistaken antispam is an add on feature this year, I have Mailfrontier so I'm not concerned with that but I think they wanted to make it less of a bloatware program so trimmed it down...

11. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Thanks for that. Just as well because eamil program will run faster with antispam plugin made for it anyways.

Gary

12. Legendkiller

when NIS 2007 beta was reviewed by PC Magazine,their representative said that anti-spam and privacy features will be available as free download for customers.

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Never mind. :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  14. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Attached Files:

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

this may be a weird question but would you say its lighter than f-secure iinternet secuiety 2006?

btw theres no way i would buy norton but if its lighter than f-secure i will be really annoyed because the reason why i got f-secure was because at the time it was lighter but f-secure 2006 is quite alot heaveer than the 2005 version

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I have both (f-secure 2006 and NIS 2007)... So far, I would say that the new verion of NIS2007 is lighter (memory usage, CPU utilization, etc) than F-Secure 2006. Well, for me it is anyways.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

grrr lol. i
    I was meaning to dump f-secure anyway. antivir suite out soon will probs get that.

18. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I tried the Antivir + firewall beta a while back and it seemed pretty nice. Anyhow, I wouldn't say that the difference in "lightness" beteen F-Secure2006 and NIS2007 is that great... F-Secure ran pretty well on my computer, I only saw a very small delay when opening some apps, like visual studio.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok. im going for a really light app like antivir because its annoying when im playing online and offline games because it slows it down. and because its online game i cant turn off av and always on connection so hence why i want an av that can run all the time that dont slow me down like now

20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I expected this. Considering that M$ also dropped Windows 2000 support in OneCare, I didnt think Symantec would want to put forth the effort to get things working on Windows 2000. It is definitely possible, but may require some more amount of time. I suspect it has something to do with Norton Protection Center.

21. Legendkiller

beta-testing for add-on package has begun..and will last for a week.

22. _Rupert_

_Rupert_ Registered Member

Just got a quick question, hope somebody can help :)

Previously, people who used Norton products - would each year either buy the new version (therefore getting new features) and a new year of updates, or they would just extend their update duration to cover the older version of NAV/NIS.

However, with this new "Norton Account" and auto-renew thing they have, does this mean that as long as you maintain a "subscription" you'll receive the new version next year, I.e. 2008, 2009 etc as well as another year of updates rather than having to keep buying the new versions?

It's slightly confusing because it says on the product tour, that during the subscription new features will be available as well as updates - not sure if this means new versions 2008 etc.

Thanks.

"With this service you receive the right to use this product on one PC or on the specified number of PCs during the service period, which begins upon initial installation. This renewable service includes protection updates and new product features as available throughout the service period."

23. Legendkiller

rupert,
    symantec doesn't offer you new versions like 2007/8 as free upgrade.but only offers you some discount.
    you will have to buy the new version.

By free updates,they mean any improvement in features of your current version will be free.

for eg,in early 2006,symantec added anti-spyware to their anti-virus which was available for free for the 2006 version customers.

24. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that it states on the Symantec site, that when you purchased a license for NAV 2006, you are eligable to upgrade to NAV 2007, if your license is still valid. I also read some where at dslreports, and I can't find it right now, that if you downloand and install the trial version of NAV 2007, and insert your valid NAV 2006 license key, it will work with NAV 2007 for the remainder of time you have left. I will try to find the post at dslreports.

EDIT.....Here it is...................

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16886695

sectionsix answers the question in the second post of the thread. Hope this helps.

25. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Yes,it really works:)
    Now I have NAV 2007 till March,2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.