Norton Internet Security problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ozsat, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozsat

ozsat Registered Member

Hello - and thank you for some useful info in these forums.

This is my first post - can anybody help?

I have used Norton Internet Security 2004 since January - with no problem at all.

Earlier today I started getting some errors with Norton - and it said if errors continue to reinstall it.

They did - so I did.

But since re-installing - none of the ad blocking, private info blocking, website blocking etc. is working at all. All the settings are editable and indicate all is fine - but everything is ignored.

After an hour the stats all still say 0 - although it is still reporting intrusions and still prompts when new programs try and use the internet.

NAV still claims to be active - but is not checking outgoing mai - perhaps not incoming either.

The problem is there when I reinstall the January software without updating - and with updating.

Anybody got any ideas?

A virus scan has produced no viruses.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Ozsat I know you have probably checked all the settings. If not check them and make sure that they are checked where you want them. If you have already done that I would try deleting norton once again and make sure that you reboot between uninstall and install.Some times it will make a difference if you disable your av during the install process.But don't forget to enable the av after install. If you have any success please post back with your results.

bigc

3. ozsat

ozsat Registered Member

The AV is a part on the Security program and so was removed and reinstall together.

Also, the software itself forces a reboot after installation - but to be sure I have tried it with another reboot both after removal and re-installation.

All the signs are that the Norton software is fully action for both security protection and AV - but it is not looking at network which I am using (the only network).

No here is an odd thing - after removing Norton - I have found that McAfee AV will not initialise on my machine for a download.

The online help beleive something in the registry is stopping it.

NAV and AdAware and CWshredder find nothing at all - using latest versions.

4. ozsat

ozsat Registered Member

Just to add a couple of things - the software is working a bit.

'Block Traffic' does block all traffic - live update works fine.

Loading any new internet programmes does ask for confirmation (by Norton) that they are allowed.

'Personal Firewall' has reported a few attacks.

But NAV is not auto-scanning outgoing mail (and possible incoming).

And none of the stuff which is set by using a user account is actioned at all - I have even removed and reinstall with no users, just a general setting, but even that was ignored!

It is as if the software will not check stuff actually passing between the user and the internet.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  5. ozsat

ozsat Registered Member

This would indicate it is not just a Norton problem.

Removed Norton - install AVG Free.

AVG seems to run OK - but does not seem to scan e-mail either way - even though options are ticked.

It is as if all traffic is direct between net and program - and is bypassing all tests.

6. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Do you mean AVG is not stamping your mail as being scanned? Which mail client are you using?

7. ozsat

ozsat Registered Member

Some success - hopefully.

With AVG (any AV actually) - there was no delay in sendind attachments, they were going straight onto the network as Netscape was sending them.

After some advice - I removed Norton again - but also downloaded NISUPG and RNAV from the Symantec site. It appears that these are provided as extra downloads as the normal uninstall doesn't quite do everything.

After running these and reboot (again) - the new install seems to be working again.

Hopefully all is OK now - touch wood.

Thank you for all the advice (so far).

8. bigc73542

I really hope everything is working. I have run norton before and have had to uninstall and reinstall twice before to get everything cooking like it should. If you have anymore trouble just come on back.

bigc

9. ozsat

ozsat Registered Member

Thank you.

Something else I have noticed is that Norton needs time to settle down when it starts up.

On the first instance of it loading up the 'Productivity Controls' - I have found that if you load too much at once (before the controls are loaded) - Norton seems to time-out and crashes.

10. bigc73542

Norton is a very large program and it is surely possible that it might take a few seconds to initialize properly.

11. ozsat

ozsat Registered Member

I find it takes about 60 seconds before it is really stable - the is the Security side - NAV seems to be almost instant.

12. KKomenda

KKomenda Guest

Wow, Ozzat --

The SAME problem is happening to me, but I haven't been able to get NIS 2004 Home to fully work again. The only features that I know stopped working after the re-install are ad-blocking and pop-up blocking, but I fear that other protections have dropped as well.

I have installed and reinstalled NIS several times. I used the knowledge-base articles from the Symanted website to delete everything, including the registry keys, before reinstalling in safe mode. Unfortunately, nothing has worked to restart all of the features of NIS.

Ad-aware and Spybot haven't found the source of the problem, and Symantec wants $$$ to talk with me on the phone. My suspicion is that some unknown registry item or activeX control is interferring with the NIS install, but I have not been able to figure it out.

Tonight, I plan to try HijackThis to see if I can spot the culprit. If I can't get it working again, I'll probable just scratch my hard drive, reinstall Windows XP, and start over.

Karl

13. DevilFrank

DevilFrank Registered Member

I had a similar problem with NIS2004 (autoprotect and mail-protect). I had to do following steps to solve the problem:
    1. deinstall NIS2004 complete
    2. reboot the system
    3. start regseeker and delete all entries at the registry named "Norton", "Liveupdate" and "Symantec"
    4. reboot the system
    5. Step 3 again
    6. reboot the system and reinstall NIS2004.

Now- NIS2004 works fine...

14. ozsat

ozsat Registered Member

I actually think the it was one of the 'spyware lookey' programs that removed something that NIS needed that originally caused the problem.

Deinstalling NIS2004 and reinstalling did not help until I ran NISUPG and RNAV after the uninstall.

DevilFrank said to remove the registry entires as well. I think I did this as well - but can remember for sure. I know I had to keep the Norton Ghost entries in there but can remember if the two programs had removed them first.

The two programs can be found by searching the Symantec knowledge base.

Still no problems since my last reinstall.

It is funny you mention Spybot - because that was the last program I installed in the 'spyware' stuff before NIS2004 died.

15. labridge

labridge Guest

Re: Norton Internet Security problem (spybot)

I installed SpyBot and now NIS has been taken over. The settings for section reads administrator but it's greyed out, you can't change it. clicking Options tells me I have insufficient priveleges to complete this operation

Anybody have a clue?

16. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

If this is Norton showing you do not have admin rights you will have to go into safe mode and find Symantec and make sure you have given as many rights to your setting as you can. I do not run NIS anymore but did have this issue from time to time a notice appeared telling me I did not have Admin rights even though I am the only user on the computer (XP) I remember going into safe mode and finding Norton had all the rights but I needed to apply my own rights to stop this message appearing.

Sorry I cannot add anything about Spybot and Norton but would be interested to know if Spybot did anything as I installed SB for a friend who runs McAfee and she had to re-install McAfee as it told her bits were missing o_O I do not know if this happened because of Spybot or not as I didn't have any conflicts even when I did run NIS o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.