Norton Internet Security, Antivirus and 360 Being Retired?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Raza0007, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

it's for sure, I just got a refund as I was not happy with the Norton Toolbar / Norton Identity Safe and there is no way to remove them other than disable them and see them ugly red notifications in the main GUI telling you they're off

2. 142395

142395 Guest

Yeah, it makes me to say "I like Norton:thumb:, but do not like Symantec!":thumbd:

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Wow you do change opinion very quickly :D

"and no I am not changing my Norton Security after a long fight with trying diff."
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/eset-v5-vs-v6-vs-v7-vs-v8.370665/#post-2434007

4. malexous

malexous Registered Member

5. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Wow, malexous. I think absolutely nobody, including me, had any idea that there is a method to hide it from within the product. I guess even Norton support didn't know about it.

6. malexous

The ignore function has been there since at least the 2009 product.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

8. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Glad to hear it. Same here on my two machines.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I have a PC Tools IS license that lasts till 2017 (or so). I have neither got the Norton IS upgrade nor any offer to upgrade to Norton Security. Symantec wants me to call a US number (which is not toll free) and work it out with their reps (they won't call me). Am I supposed to be happy about this? I have tried to be objective, but Symantec in my personal experience gets two thumbs down.

They do, however, state that they will continue definition updates and "support" my PC Tools product (God knows for how long, since I don't think it even works with Windows 8.1).

I repeat that Symantec's focus for 2015 has been to cut costs, the whole NS product line has been developed to cut costs. I still stand by what I have said in my earlier posts, that a user concerned about protection should stay away from Norton products for the near future (even if tests say the product is fine).

11. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Actually Norton's change is more about 'focus' and 'streamlining' which are good things. A dedicated, efficient, and streamlined Antivirus division that isn't involved with too many products/services. Norton is positioned for better protection now, especially with integration of their enterprise and consumer teams, and product lines.

Norton is on my top 3 recommended list these days.

12. Firecat

And yet, a company that is struggling to restructure and cut costs three years since the first discussions on the matter come up. Do you think that inspires confidence? Better protection and focus are a side-effect of the real concern: that Symantec was/is bleeding money.

13. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Three years? They just branched off the security/av focused division a few months ago. These things take time, we're talking unimaginable logistics, and Symantec did it without laying off any significant amounts of people. From a security perspective, it's a great time to move to Norton, the product this year is quite exceptional.

14. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Biggest problem for me with Norton is that they do not encrypt updates. It's all plain text, and over port 80. Which means Norton is subjected to MTM style of attacks, and potential MTM acting as an update push to toss a 'breaking' update into Norton. I wonder if this is how Norton was compromised at some bigger firms? I had to stop using Norton for this fact alone.. No encryption on updates is a terrible idea, and a major security risk.

15. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed

16. Firecat

Read the news on consumer and security divisions since around 2011, and you'll get an idea of Symantec trying several things and (still) not getting back on track (i.e. improving their bottom line like they wanted to). Branching off the security division is the next big idea. Let's see how that rolls.

P.S. There were significant layoffs during this period between 2011 and 2014 (also in the news).

17. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Got to love Norton :) I am on their ClubNorton mailing list. Their latest email includes a video of a Christmas morning scene where 8-year old kids are shown jumping and grinning with joy after opening their Christmas gifts and finding Norton Security :) Not only didn't I know that 8-year old boys and girls most desired Christmas gift was NS, but that family now has protection for 40 - 80 devices. :)

It is however a short, joyful, and fun scene and if you want a grin you can view it on the Norton YouTube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iouEdYbjBSE&feature=youtu.be

It ends with a slogan "Internet Security Has Never been So Exciting."

It does have it's marketing pluses, in that it successfully plants in the viewer's mind the thought that giving a teen or an adult NS as a Christmas gift would be a good idea and a thoughtful and appreciated gift. I think it's more effective than showing a 30 year-old woman, during a romantic Christmas Eve, candle-lit dinner, giving her 32 year-old boyfriend a box containing NS, which would be a nice gift for the appropriate recipient.

From what tests I have seen and read it is a pretty good product, at least while you are connected to the net because it's behavior blocker appears to be largely cloud-based, but is currently plagued by an acknowledged bug that causes an eternal PC Shutdown process on a lot of systems (a fix for which is said to be currently in the works.)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  18. malexous

19. zfactor

okay so in testing norton today again i have a question. i have set every setting i can find to ask and it still auto deletes when it finds something. so am i missing a setting (i have went through anything that has a ask setting and set it accordingly that i saw) maybe this is a dumb question but i want toi make sure im not overlooking one setting for this. it seems i can only set the sonar detections to ask though?

20. malexous

21. zfactor

hmm kind of what i thought so no way to turn that off i guess so once again norton is out for me. if i cant set it to ask and it auto deletes at least on my own machines its out.

22. 142395

142395 Guest

You're right in those regard, and while Symantec claims they fired middle management and duplicated sections Glassdoor's comment shows different things.
    But I disagree your previous comment, as not only Symantec but also most measure AV vendor have some dirties in their history or at least such suspect, I remember Kaspersky made unethical attitude for their customer when their website was compromise and it gathered much criticism, and you can find such things also for some other vendor.

23. Firecat

I never implied this as an "ethical" issue. I'm just saying that I see an excessive attempt to try and cut costs (and improve margins) which seems to take priority over actually improving the protection/development of the products. I do not think this is healthy for the users in a short-term situation (long term effects yet to be seen).

As for my personal issues w.r.t. my PC Tools software license, of course there's a problem there but it's not something I use as a factor to determine Symantec's credibility on a whole (and when I do, I do state that as my personal experience). That is something between me and them to sort out.

24. 142395

142395 Guest

Sorry I misunderstood you.
    But I still believe cost cut was/is necessary for Symantec. They became too much large. But the problem is whether they really cut bloated off or not. Some source (mainly Glassdoor but not limited to it) says they actually fired efficient but highly paid worker. And it seems to extend to even engineer.

Also I believe firing Bennett was wrong decision by Symantec board, they 're too impatient, don't know that innovation can't be made quickly.
    Probably such inconsequence in the company's policy brings bad effect.

Anyway, NS2015 is still not available in Asian-Pacific though obviously product itself is ready long before (some beta tester tested local version of NS2015 beta). What the hell, are they prioritize company's internal affair than providing latest product for customer?

25. malexous

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.