Norton Internet Security, Antivirus and 360 Being Retired?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Raza0007, Sep 19, 2014.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

His problem is that he hasn't looked in his software library on Amazon--that's where it is.

There is another problem report about installing from Amazon. The fix is to use the key you purchased from Amazon and download the program from the Norton site.

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

You talk about your shop and services a lot, do you have a link to it so I can check it out?

Thanks

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i am only local. i dont do any online sales or service. we have 2 locations in the sarasota fl area. i have been in business for just over 11 years in this area, formerly from ny / nj area. be happy to talk more shop via pm but not really a place here in this thread.

4. zfactor

some reps are great and some suck plain and simple. i have had decent luck so far helping people get them taken care of but have been denied a few times also.

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I found what I believe is a serious bug in Norton 2015.

Download Insight, and Download Sonar do not work in Opera, at least the most current version of Opera. I was testing several malicious downloads, and after Opera updated Norton wasn't detecting a single one with Insight. Which is very odd, since Insight set to maximum is usually very good about detecting these things. So I loaded up Chrome, and it detected them fine. I loaded up IE and it detected them fine. I went back to Opera, and Download Insight ceased to function again.

6. zfactor

^^^ sent this info yesterday to them. not sure if anything will be done. but the more people that report it the better.

7. clocks

clocks Registered Member

People still use Opera? :)

8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Since Insight and Sonar are port level, this is a bit alarming as to why it wouldn't detect Opera activity unless Opera uses some proprietary methods? I use Opera because it is sexy looking, and has a great speed dial. Chrome removing pinnable Speed Dials way back in v16 was a stupid move. I don't want a browser to decide what I want pinned up on Speed Dial.

Opera is pretty buggy though, and doesn't work with a lot of sights, despite it using Blink, and it can randomly 'break' on some sites. So I might have to kick it to the curb. I also don't like how it dials home incessantly. Opera doesn't work right with Office 365/Office Cloud, and they don't seem to care to fix it. Yet another reason to kick Opera.

9. zfactor

im talking about the new opera. v26 (the one im using anyway) they are finally starting to get bookmarks back and its a nice overall browser. but the bookmarks imo still need A LOT of work.

edit: is this the version you are using or are you still on v12?

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

v26, and it has issues. Now it doesn't work with Insight, which is a huge part of Norton's protection.

11. zfactor

yeah same here. v26. i have had no response yet back from them. if i hear back i will let you know. i have not had a whole lot of time to spend digging around but i can say for sure its not working

12. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Download Insight will only analyze files downloaded from some programs when the file is accessed. https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-security/current/solutions/v23920628_NAV_Retail_2014_en_us?q=download insight.

Opera was one according to this users experience and maybe still is. https://community.norton.com/forums...lligence-download-insight-opera-filezilla-etc.

You can make (or you could when I tested it with the older Norton) Opera or any other program (for example, a non-supported file manager) have the other type of Download Insight by re-naming the program to firefox.exe (or, presumably, the name of any program that that Download Insight supports).

I do not recommend it though, as it may cause the IPS component to treat Opera like Firefox instead of Opera.

13. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I switched to Chrome and tossed Speed Dial 2 on it, turned off Asynchronous DNS and it feels fine, I will just switch. In my testing Chrome was better at malware link scanning than Opera anyway. So all the more reason to switch and be done with it. Download Insight is extremely powerful, and I want it at the front gate, not when files are accessed.

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What was the indication for turning off asynchronous DNS?

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Asynchronous DNS in Chrome slows down browsing in some cases, and in other cases causes page instability. I find it best to disable it. Chrome DNS client talks with multiple DNS servers (the local DNS, the router DNS, the router DNS in IPv6).Chrome opens up to 8 processor threads to resolve DNS, acting as a DNS client of sorts, and overriding your native DNS, and while this 'usually' is done fairly quickly, it can result in significant slowdowns, especially on websites with a lot of links and such. I leave the DNS up to my hardware, and find performance to be better. Why stack DNS resolution? Hardware->OperatingSystem->Browser? Not necessarily, and can lead to issues.

Simply put; Async DNS enabled/disabled displays whether the browser uses its own asynchronous DNS resolver instead of the operating system's synchronous resolver. It adds another layer - an unnecessarily layer. about:flags, disable it, close and reopen the browser, and see if you have performance gains. My benchmarks suggest this should always be disabled. Also I find disabling IPv6 speeds up overall browsing performance, mostly related to IPv6 having slow DNS resolution. Specifically disabling Teredo as a security precaution. Every DNS lookup is 2-3x slower with IPv6. I disable IPv6 in your network adapter settings, then execute the following commands in an elevated command prompt.

netsh int ipv6 isatap set state disabled
    netsh int ipv6 6to4 set state disabled
    netsh interface teredo set state disabled

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Tech like this ought to be browser independent. AVG surf shield, for example, works with all browsers I have here. I believe it's the same with Avast, BitDefender and eScan. If the full features of a product require you to restrict yourself to using only specific software, it is an example of poor design.

17. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Agreed. However it seems to work with everything but Opera, so maybe Opera is doing something?

18. 142395

142395 Guest

While DL insight shows its full potential when download is conducted via supported software, every executable came from outside of the computer are checked by DL insight when they are to be executed from Norton 2014.
    But in this case, Norton can't use info about its source so effectiveness is limited.

I agree with Firecat, it should work for any download & if it is zipped file then they should track its source retroactively.

P.S. Also in this case, usual toaster popup don't appear so if you want to see DL insight really kicks in for e.g. threats from USB, then you need a potential malware which is not detected by signature or heuristics.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  19. malexous

20. malexous

21. malexous

I wonder how much better SONAR is with an internet connection.

Here it is protecting without an internet connection.

Attached Files:

22. 142395

142395 Guest

SONAR itself is always in local.
    What they moved into cloud is its behavior signature part and all good BB uses such signature recently.
    So now still Norton calculates each behavior for maliciousness, but since it can't use behavior signature, their effectiveness is limited when internet connection is not available.
    This is as if usual virus scan w/out signature (only heuristic).

23. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Buyer of Norton Security & Norton Security with Backup Beware:
    I did some shopping at Walmart yesterday and decided to go to the electronics section to look at some security software. They had a few selections for sale. I noticed that Norton was the only one with 2 barcodes on the back of the box, (1) Purchase (2) Activation. Norton is activated at checkout. :thumbd: So if you are going to buy Norton for someone for Christmas, Birthday..... the countdown on days have already started before you even put it on your computer. I don't know if Norton is doing this in all stores, but before checking out I would inquire about the activation time.

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Seriously? They stoop to a new low... I've not considered them to be a bad product in many years, but there sales and marketing lately leave a lot to be desired.

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Did you actually buy it and discover that your license was activated or are you assuming that that's how it works because of the activation barcode on the box?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.