Norton Firewall ad blocker

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Hezakiah, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

Hello everyone and thank you for this great forum. My question is this: I use Norton firewall 2003, and i love the ad and pop-up blocker they have. I never ever see any ads or pop-ups. does Norton use someone elses ad blocker or is it their own? i would like to try another firewall but don't want to lose the great ad and pop-up blocker that comes with Norton. thanks for any help you can give me. :)

2. SvS

SvS Security Expert

Symantec is using their own ad/pop-up blocking technology (well not exactly their own since the bought the technology years ago with WRQ's AtGuard, on the other hand I don't know anything they sell and haven't bought). Compared to other ad/pop-up blockers it performs reasonable well since it's integrated with the Firewall and is therefore able to filter on the packet level. This has the drawback that HTTP compression (part of HTTP 1.1) is always disabled when NIS/NPF is installed.

Other Firewalls, like Kerio for example, offer an integrated ad blocker too although it's a pay-for feature here while the basic firewall is free (last time I checked).

3. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Hezakiah,

Outpost Pro has an okay ad blocker plugin.
    Even then, I still use the Firefox Adblock plugin which really does a great job.

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Adblock works very well, but it increases the loading of FF's backward/forward button by about 0.3 second.

5. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

In general, I'm pretty happy with ZA Pro. IMO seems to be more effective than Outpost Pro 2.1 and about on par with Norton... which while bloated, was very effective.

6. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the great replys, i'm thinking of trying ZA pro, and see how it works out for me.

7. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I am currently using Kerio 4.0.16 and love it. [Although I've only updated from 2.1.5 in last few days, so still learning]

Pop-up/Advertisements blocking, plus extras.

Just another one to try. :)

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

8. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Looks more comprehensive than ZA's Pro ad blocker. I like the ability to modify the ad block list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.