Norton Firewall 2003

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Chuck57, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I just downloaded it to see what it was like. Does anyone have an opinion of it? I did a search here but didn't turn up much.

It has one feature I really like, in that it does a security scan and tells you all the programs that have, or could have Internet access. Pretty scary, but it lets you block them. Also, it can block referrers and OS info which I like too. It shows stealth everywhere I've checked.

What I don't like is, typical of norton, the size, about 30MB, but I've got the room. Overall, with a couple of days under my belt, I sort of like it.

2. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I like it (the packet filtering and IDS are nice,) but I often have trouble getting Norton's products working right on re-install. And companies like Zone Labs focus more on the firewall part.

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Chuck57

NIS/NPF is a good firewall. While the current interface and automatic rules make it easy for most, it still allows experienced users to customize the rule set.

Selecting to block all those Internet enabled applications you are not sure of or may not use when doing the application scan is an option. If you leave them unchecked (no rule), NIS/NPF will still prompt for a rule if and when they try to access the network (Internet) for the first time. Not being a big fan of cluttered rule sets, I prefer to leave them unchecked and let the firewall prompt.

What you like and are most comfortable with using and configuring is always a factor in deciding what to use.

Regards,

CrazyM

4. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Are there more opinions of the Norton firewall?

You might as well stay with NPF 2003 if you get it - NPF 2004 is pretty much the same.

5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I've been using NPF 2004 for about a month and a half now. I like it. It's really easy to set up and use right out of the box if you like, which is what I'm doing. It has a great pop up and ad blocker. I haven't seen a pop up/pop under or banner ad since I installed it. I am stealth at all the tests sites, GRC, PC Flank, and Sygate.

I ran the trial version of NPF 2003 just before 2004 came out. They're basically the same, but I had to have the new one. ;)

6. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

The problem with the active content is the list of sites they put in. This alone would be enough for me to uninstall.

7. Graystoke

If you're talking about the Automatic Program Scan, you can remove all of them and just have NPF notify you when one of those programs want access. You can then allow, deny or set up a rule.

8. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

No, I'm not talking about that. Ads are by default enabled for this list of sites. I think I still like ZAP more anyway. NPF is so bloated.

9. Graystoke

Sorry about that. :rolleyes: I should have read a little slower then I would have known you were talking about ads feature. :)

I used to use ZAP also, but started to have some problems with it recently and decided to give NPF a try. Nothing against ZAP. It always worked great for me until recently. I really like NPF 2004. It runs very nice on my computer.

10. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I can take out those sites in the list, but it's sleazy for Symantec to pre-configure them. Even Kazaa was in the list.

Otherwise, I like NPF's automatic rules configuration and IDS - but the outbound protection isn't quite as good as ZAP's.

Sorry you had problems with ZAP.

11. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

I suspect the reason for the large list of sites may have something to do with the effectiveness of the proxy filter in the latest versions (NIS2003/04). The list is certainly larger (and updated now I believe) than in previous versions. There were alot of users having problems accessing popular sites when 2003 came out with the changes to the proxy filter. Probably easier to update the list than field all those support calls.

As always though, as you noted, the user can modify the list and delete those sites they may not want on the list or proxy setting for.

Regards,

CrazyM

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Well, the list offends me - I'm not using NPF anyway, but I took the list off for another user.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.