Norton Firewall 2003 and opera browser

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ghodgson, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

A tale of woe!, info for those with NIS and thinking about Opera browser. Pc's are great when they work but when they go wrong ........................
    My pC has XP SP1 & 512MB ram/80GB HD. NIS 2003 and Avast home.
    As stated above I DID have NIS 2003 installed on my PC, which I did like. My browser was always IE6 fully patched, reinforced with Spyware blaster & the Immunisation feature in Spybot. I decided to try another browser and opted for Opera. After installation it ran beautifully :) , much quicker than IE6 and obviously more secure and I like it. The problems started when I tried to go to a secure https site, and I kept getting error messages. Having tried various secure sites and got the same messages it was obviously a fault on my pC. I then tried the same secure sites [which were ok prior to Opera] with my IE6 browser and got the same errors. So Somehow on Opera installation things had gone awfully wrong. :'( I thought my internet settings were compromised, so I uninstalled Opera and did a system restore to find everything was still just the same.... ie. couldnt access secure sites.
    So after 9 hours on the PC :oops: , it became apparent it was Norton firewall that was at fault,-- there must have been some conflict between it and Opera browser on my PC, and a problem which i couldnt fix so NIS was uninstalled.
    I installed Kerio 4 firewall & set it up- rules based with a final block rule, and everything was back to normal !! :D So I saved a restore point and reinstalled Opera--now I can access secure sites with Opera and IE6--all problems solved- and so far so good.
    One thing puzzles me though, in both NIS and Kerio-- neither asked me for internet access for IE6 or Opera applications ??-- but they do have access. SO I started logging the Avast webscanner [which had asked for internet permission in NIS and Kerio], and that logged all net activity, so Am I right in thinking all internet access is somehow routed through the Avast web scanner, hence neither IE6 or Opera has prompted reaction from the firewall? Anybody any ideas? I suppose I could disable Avast's webscanner and see if that initiates a response.

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Check your internet explorer >tools>internet options>connections>lan settings>advanced..you will probably see avasts portsettings in there ,as it acts as a transparent web proxy.
    ellison

3. ghodgson

Thanks Ellison, I checked what you said but there were no lan settings as you suggested-- just "automatically detect settings". However, I think you have hit the nail on the head about Avast being the transparent web proxy. I think I also answered my own question. In kerio I denied net access for Avasts webscanner and afterwards neither IE6 or Opera could access the internet. So that must be why IE6 and Opera dont initiate a response in my firewall-just Avasts webscanner.
    Interesting to know.

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

5. ghodgson

Thanks Ellison :thumb:

6. ghodgson

I have it sussed now. In Kerio 4 when you ask for trusted applications [starting other applications] to alert the user, and when IE6 and Opera are started the firewall asks for outgoing permission for both on port 12080,-- that is Avasts webscanning port for the transparent proxy.
    Likewise with the mailscanning proxy on port 12110 and outlook express, mailwasher etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.