Norton DNS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DX2, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. focus

focus Registered Member

Can't get to the Norton sites right now, but this bit from hidmyass wiki says 2 days. http://wiki.hidemyass.com/NortonDNS

Seems like this was a hot topic here some time in the past, I know I researched it and decided on Norton as my DNS provider, probably because of the 2 day purge. Sorry for any confusion.

2. imdb

imdb Registered Member

hmm, it says it's outdated and not updated anymore on that hma wiki page. maybe there's been some recent changes? :doubt:

3. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Or maybe none.
    Norton ConnectSafe Privacy Policy
    http://dns.norton.com/dnsweb/privacy.do

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

it's two days. just checked it out.

dns.norton.com/dnsweb/privacy.do

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Running Comodo Secure DNS for a couple of days and as anticipated, no discernible difference from when I was using Norton. I guess I'll stay with Comodo for a while longer. Something in the back of my brain tells me Norton has better filters, but I have no facts to fall back on to substantiate that. Perhaps it's simply what I've grown used to.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I could find no such disclosure on the Comodo Secure DNS site.
    Even their privacy policy info did not address how long they retain the data. Questions are referred to the legal department.

7. guest

guest Guest

The recent talks saying Comodo DNS is pretty good makes me want to switch as well. Especially since I'm at odds with Ask.com.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi GZ,
    What Comodo Secure DNS lacks is a simple test page, to let a user know if their filters are performing.
    I have previously inquired about this on the Comodo forum, and one respondent advised using the forum thread created for reporting blocked sites.
    That works for me, as you can see below a block message from one of the recently submitted sites.

Comodo Secure DNS blocked page.jpg

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

By the way, I recommend this handy little tool for anyone wishing to easily switch between DNS servers.
    I've been using it (and earlier versions) for a couple of years.

Public DNS Server Tool v2.0

Public DNS Server Tool v2.0.jpg

10. guest

guest Guest

@Page42
    Interesting tool, thanks. :thumb:

----------------------------------------

I will try my ISP's DNS as well to see how fast it would be. Chrome already blocks decent amounts of phishing and malware websites. Although I admit that Norton DNS blocked more in my experience.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

FWIW, I actually like the older version of the tool, v0.91, as it also allows for manual input. That way I can create a custom list of server addresses, like one Comodo, one Norton, one Google, one Open, to be used as primary, secondary, and so forth. V2.0 won't allow that input.

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

good find. thanks.

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

same here. :D

14. Google Public DNS stores Clear & DNS related privacy policy
    Google Public DNS stores two sets of logs: temporary and permanent. The permanent logs contain ISP and location information. The temporary logs store the full IP address of the machine you're using. We have to do this so that we can spot potentially bad things like DDoS attacks and so we can fix problems, such as particular domains not showing up for specific users.
    We delete these temporary logs within 24 to 48 hours. "Other services like Google Search or Chrome may collect unique hardware ID's and IP adresses (at least they tell this in Dutch version) in their server logs which are de-personlised after some months"

Norton DNS Clear & DNS related privacy policy
    When you configure your router or your computer in order to use Norton ConnectSafe service, we do not require you to create an account or to provide any information about yourself. In the normal operation of Norton ConnectSafe, our servers will see your IP address, the type of web browser used, the domain requested, the time it was requested, the result, and whether the domain existed or not. No other information is collected and there is no correlation between IP address and other personally identifiable information.
    Other information beyond basic DNS information may be collected from the search engine. To provide Norton ConnectSafe, we partner with Ask.com
    The information is typically purged within two (2) days.

Comodo Secure DNS General & internal use privacy policy
    Personal information is collected from customers only after obtaining consent, which is obtained when customers are prompted for information when subscribing to the services, by using a Comodo website, downloading a product, or requesting further information. In California, IP addresses are considered personally identifiable information.
    Comodo uses log files comprising of non-personally identifiable information . . . .

My ISP (Ziggo) General & internal use privacy policy
    Ziggo holds no personally identifiable information when surfing the web. However, we use this information in anonymous and aggregate form to identify and analyze how and to what extent the different services are used to a more tailored online service offer.
    Ziggo retain your personal data no longer than is legally allowed (or is required by Dutch and European Law) and necessary for the purposes of which this data is collected.

No mention of deletion or anonymize of the data after a set period of time, allthough Ziggo has to comply to Dutch and EU laws,

Open DNSGeneral with DNS reference & internal use privacy policy
    When you use our Services, OpenDNS stores certain DNS, IP address and related information about you to improve the quality of our Service, to provide you with Services and for internal business and analysis purposes. For example, OpenDNS runs a Domain Name System (DNS) service. DNS translates a domain name (e.g., http://www.example.com) into the corresponding numerical address (e.g., 192.0.34.166) that allows your system to access the domain over the network.

No mention of deletion or anonymize of the data after a set period of time, allthough website mentions eTrust, US and EU laws compliancy.

Smartscreen privacy policy
    Only uses IP address, browser type, and Phishing Filter version number (encrypted). After six months the IP-adress is complete erased. While not great, it is better as most others (e.g. Google removing only final octet of the IP-adress after nine months).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  15. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

@Page42
    Also thanks for link for DNS tool :thumb:
    I am currently trialling FoolDNS.

16. guest

guest Guest

Just to clarify this a bit, my problem with Ask.com is not about privacy issues, but because it's the worst search engine I've ever used. It's even worse than Yahoo.

Ask.com was pretty good years ago, though.

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You're welcome.
    It's a snap to have on hand.

18. Redirect to Ask.com when website/page is not found, your default search engine stays the one you selected yourself (in your browser). Norton seems a fair choice when looking at privacy & protection.

19. guest

guest Guest

I know, I just hate Ask.com so much now. Or maybe I'm just bored with Norton DNS. :D

20. OuterLimits

OuterLimits Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  21. Lordman

Lordman Registered Member

No.

I have been testing with norton, comodo, opendns, dyndns, dns advantage, level3, yandex and OpenDNS... all of them fail that test.

22. Lordman

Lordman Registered Member

I have been testing norton connectsafe and comodo securedns... is it really norton dns the best malware protection?. I have doubts, i think comodo is better and fast.

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Well, I'm getting tired of Norton's "Continue to Site" not working and the pain of reporting false positives (they sometimes don't reply or put you on hold forever).

Then I tried Comodo's "Disregard", but that just stays stuck on "Please Wait". Sigh, I'll stay with Norton until their FP rate spikes then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.