Norton DNS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DX2, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DX2

DX2 Guest

I can't get norton dns working on my windows 7 64b. I do everything perfect, but when i try it out, it says, Your computer is not currently using Norton DNS.. Any ideas? o_O I'm running Comodo FW 5.10, could that being messing things up?

I do cmd ipconfig /all and it shows im using the dns

I've even flushed dns also.

Preferred DNS: 198.153.192.50
    Alternate DNS: 198.153.194.50

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nm4t6rzeo0b734/Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  2. DX2

DX2 Guest

Nobody can help with this?:oops:

3. guest

guest Guest

Mine is working fine, but I'm using the first category. Try the first or the third category, see if it works.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I've been running NortonDNS with CFW5 & 6 for a very long time without an issue.
    I know that on install, CFW tries to push Comodo DNS on users, and you must opt out, but I doubt that that is your problem.

I recommend perusing the forum where NortonDNS issues are discussed, or try emailing their tech support at nortondns@symantec.com .

5. DX2

DX2 Guest

@ Graf, thanks, I just tried that, but still the same. :/

@ Page, I'll try their forums. I did opt out of the Comodo dns when installing. Thanks.

6. imdb

imdb Registered Member

try setting it up at modem/router level. that'll override os level setup.

7. NortonSupport

NortonSupport Registered Member

Hello,

Please try to set Norton DNS in your router and let me know how it goes. If the problem persists, please provide more details like your Internet Service provider, router model you use etc. I'll check it further.

Thanks!
    Harry
    Norton Support

8. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

If you changed the dns settings in your router I would recommend that you turn off your computer and router and then start up your router and computer again. I have noticed that if I don't do these steps my pc still sees the old dns settings.

9. DX2

DX2 Guest

My Comcast router only has DDNS, so I can't add the dns address in there.. :/

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

11. DX2

DX2 Guest

Yes, that's what is wrong, my comcast router. But Norton DNS is working fine on my XP Boot, but not my W7 boot or my W7 laptop. Could certain disabled services cause this? Are there more than one windows service that needs to be enabled to use DNS?

Regards.

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I would think that any service that would stop DNS would stop you from accessing any sites as well. So, not that I am aware of, unless someone else knows something I don't which is entirely possible. :argh:

13. DX2

DX2 Guest

Can anyone tell me what the first two addresses are in the first post img? On my XP machine, those aren't there.

14. DX2

DX2 Guest

Guy from another forum told me to uncheck the box next to the IPV6 in the adapter settings, that was the problem.

Thanks for all your help :)

15. focus

focus Registered Member

Norton DNS, using the 192.40 and 194.40 IP's set on the router, is blocking Zemana.com and some links on the Ghostery website. This has been going on for at least a week and I am wondering if there is a legitimate problem with these sites or with Norton. Anyone else seeing this problem?

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yes, Norton is blocking, as you said.
    I tried Comodo Secure and they aren't blocking those sites..
    Google and Open DNS aren't blocking them either, but their malware protection capabilities are not known to be extensive.
    I suggest posting on the forum I linked above, or emailing nortondns tech support, also posted above.

norton dns zemana block.jpg
    norton dns gjostery link block.jpg

17. focus

focus Registered Member

Thanks, email sent. Will post results.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The Norton detailed reports indicate the Zemana site involves identity threats, and the Ghostery sites involve a computer threat.
    Contacting Norton may shed some light. Contacting Ghostery and Zemana might be better, as they could then contact Norton and protest the rating.

19. focus

focus Registered Member

Received a short reply from Norton:

"Thanks for the email. You should be able to check if a website contains any threats at Norton Safe Web https://safeweb.norton.com. If you have any questions, please let us know."

Fast reply but not very helpful. The Norton Safe Web site gives basically the same information as the detailed results from the blocked page screen.

I will take your advice Page42 and contact Zemana and Ghostery and let them proceed with the Norton DNS team. Meanwhile I have switched over to OpenDNS as the Norton block was preventing Zemana updates in addition to website access.

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Good move in contacting the aggrieved parties.
    As for switching over to Open DNS, had you considered Comodo Secure DNS?
    There is more malware protection with it than with Open DNS, if that matters to you.

21. imdb

imdb Registered Member

how's c-dns, compared to n-dns?

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Tough to say, other than the fact that there is a bit of a test going on right on this thread.
    Comodo DNS is not blocking Zemana or Ghostery links that member focus showed us are being blocked by Norton.
    So the natural question becomes, who is right and who is wrong?

As for speed and reliability, I have been using Norton almost constantly, so I can't compare.
    I have never run Comodo for very long.
    But I'm running it now, and plan to keep it in place for a week or so.
    If I notice any difference, I'll report back.
    My tendency is to guess there will be little discernible difference.

23. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thanks. n-dns user here too. looking forward to hearing your feedback. :thumb:

24. focus

focus Registered Member

Malware protection is indeed high on my list for selection of a DNS providers. I've just been looking at the Comodo web site and see no mention about logging. Seems like Norton had a 90 day limit. I'll give Comodo a try though, thanks for the link.

Edit - 90 days is incorrect, s/b 2 days.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  25. imdb

imdb Registered Member

you mean norton logs users' dns queries for up to 90 days? could you provide a link for that please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.