Norton DNS blocks MBAM auto-updating

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Page42, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

This topic has been posted on the MBAM forum.
    Has anyone here run into this, or been able to replicate it besides me?
    When running Norton DNS service, MBAM scheduled automatic updates are not happening.
    The MBAM log displays the message:
    ERROR Scheduled update failed: WinHttpSendRequest failed with error code 12007
    Manual updates, however, can be run.
    As soon as I switch back to ClearCloud DNS, auto-updating functions fine.
    WinXP, SP3

2. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Just checked the logs, updates have been successful, and I'm using Norton DNS (I'm not sure if there is a Norton DNS program and if that's what you are talking about, but I set Norton DNS up by typing in the address numbers at the Windows Network Center.)

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks for checking.
    Maybe it is an XP thing?
    Yes, I set up Norton DNS the same way... in XP, going to the General tab of Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties, selecting Use the following DNS server addresses, then entering the two Norton DNS IP addresses 198.153.192.1 and 198.153.194.1.
    I have reverted to CC, but have Norton as the 3 & 4 entries in case CC goes down.
    Thanks again for checking and posting back.

4. justenough

Yes, same addresses in the same order.

5. justenough

This is strange, MBAM wouldn't update, said a newer version of MBAM needed to be installed. I rebooted, same thing. I changed to CC, that didn't help at first, but on reboot MBAM is back to normal. Not sure what caused it, but it is interesting I just had the same problem you were having. I wonder if MBAM is tinkering with their software in some way.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

No one else running Norton DNS and auto-updating MBAM who can post about their experience?

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I have reset Norton DNS as my preferred DNS server, with ClearCloud as alternate. I changed MBAM auto-updating interval to hourly, so I could follow progress more often than once a day. Low and behold, MBAM just updated on both computers with Norton DNS in use. Maybe Symantec changed something. I had emailed them about this. I'll keep watching for future updates. :cool:

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.