Norton Detected Trojan before Hunter did!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Prince_Serendip, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:eek: My Norton detected a trojan on my system before the Hunter did. I've always been told to backup my antivirus with an antitrojan program. Can anyone suggest a better antitrojan program? I picked it up just by browsing at a website. I had both Trojan Hunter and the Norton loaded. There was no response from the Hunter though I did a full scan with it after the trojan was quarantined and dealt with. I did report it to Norton. Anyone know a really effective antitrojano_O Thanks, in advance.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

No need to worry about that; some app has to grab it first. In this case, NAV grabbed it before TrojanHunter did; that's just fine.

And with reason. Anti-viruses are in principal not build to grab trojan(servers). They might grab a bunch - but fail to grab most.

What has happened here, will happen using fairly all anti-trojans. TrojanHunter is no bad app at all; NAV acted first - that's all there's to it.

Consider to have a look at the configuration from your browser - what happened isn't unavoidable.

Actually, since NAV quarantined the file, thus putting it out of business, there was nothing left to do for TrojanHunter.

TrojanHunter didn't fail here in any way; after NAV dealt with it, there was nothing left to deal with for TH. Same would have happened using any other anti-trojan.

regards.

paul

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Yes, similarly, NOD32 catches tojans before TDS-3 has a chance too. If I scan with TDS-3, NOD32 will interupt the scan to block access to the infected files. This does not mean TDS3 wasn't doing its job. I understand TDS4 will be first in line due to its new kernel level scanning.

It is ok, watching all the security stuff decend on the trojan like a pack of while dogs (or those robot thingies in the matrix)

5. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Prince_Serendip there is nothing to worry !!! This is perfectly normal.

Technodrome

6. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:)Thanks to all who replied. One of the many reasons I like Wilders: Great bunch of people! I added Wilders as a link at my PC Users Group Website. Thanks again! :D

7. Paul Wilders

We are flattered, Prince; thanks for the compliment!

regards.

paul

8. dynamodave

dynamodave Guest

that goes both ways I have a trojan that norton misses and trojan hunter gets..

9. Paul Wilders

Sounds perfectly reasonable; apart from KAV/AVP no specific anti-virus does perform very well in dealing with trojans. Reason the more to have a specific resident running good anti-trojan installed.

regards.

paul

10. controler

controler Guest

I am guessing it was script that norton caught?
    Not an acual downloaded file?
    It is always neat to stop script from running without permission. ;)

[glow=red,5,300]controler[/glow]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.