norton configuration

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by steve1955, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Anybody know whether or nort norton 2010 can be configured to ask user how a threat should be dealt with?My daughter is having problems with it deleting a program she uses to logon and transfer files from and to her stuff on her uni account from her home pc

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. steve1955

Thanks,already done that with app in question,was really asking if there was anyway in making NIS ask what should be done with threats,one I gave as example was just one she has had slight probs with,it just seems strange that NIS seems to remove any user interaction as to how to deal with threats or perceived threats:-it just seems to delete them!I can't find any option for user to make decisions

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Then it's quite similar to how Panda Cloud AV handles files.

6. steve1955

thanks for that,think it will be back to Kaspersky for her:-Less hassle when user can decide what to do about perceived threats,too easy to lose things that aren't a problem really when left entirely to the AV program,its a good job she had access to original program or all her research would have been inaccessible until she went back in

7. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Norton produces less false positives . If you believe something was detected by mistake , just submit it to Symantec:
    https://submit.symantec.com/dispute/

They are very fast at fixing FPs

8. steve1955

than Kaspersky?don't really think so:-Also its not possible to send file to Norton as a false +ve after it has been deleted from your PC,as happened with app on daughters,it didn't quarantine it,just deleted it!:-it was already installed and in use before Norton dcided to "get rid of it"!At least if any AV does allow user interaction you can,if you know file is safe,stop it being removed,its a pity because apart from this issue its a very nice program

9. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

as far as i know its not possible to change setting in norton so that it asks you what to do with threat

though you can restore it and disable av for some time u need

although this can be done in firewall rules whethet to ask u abt any connections etc

10. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Welcome to Kaspersky Club. After installation, uncheck "select action automatically" and you will have interactive product. Many products are moving towards automatic decision, but it is not good at least for experts. I like Norton products too, but automatic decision is only main hurdle to test it on my second PC.

11. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Last time I sent them a FP was about 2-3 months ago . I got a reply from real person in precisely 46 minutes after my submission that the detection has been fixed . Insight Network info was fixed and next update didn't detect the file. Faster or not than Kaspersky , that is really fast.

You are wrong . You just have to know how - if you ask them , of course , they won't hide it and will tell you . So , if you want to send them a file (not a link to a file) , first submit the file here , then in the FP submission form just enter the track number you got from here.

What was the detection/threat name ? Thank you!

12. steve1955

please don't use part quotes:-I said its not possible to send a false +ve to norton AFTER it has been deleted from your PC,I did not say it is not possible to send a false +ve to norton!(there is a difference!):-I am coming to the conclusion that you either work for Norton or are on commision from them or just an out and out fanboy because in your eyes it seems norton can do no wrong,but in this they are wrong!I will find out name of app when she is back home

13. steve1955

Ive used Kaspersky since kav 3 so not a new member of Kaspersky club!(lol)We found latest version,2011, a bit buggy so my daughter decided to give Norton a whirl,I can't believe any vendor would produce an AV product that doesn't allow the user to make decisions re threats!

14. begemot64

begemot64 Registered Member

The new 2011 NIS lets you undo any changes. I've never used 2010, so i can't say how it fares.

15. steve1955

can't find download source for 2011,is it out of beta/released yet?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  16. drakester

drakester Registered Member

:(
    Threads go to waste when fanboyism comes into trivial matters. Such a shame.

@steve1955: Was it a SONAR detection? as far as I remember there is an options link in the detection window where you can restore the file if it was quarantined or in the Quarantine itself there's a link labeled as "Options" that prompts you this:
    http://localhostr.com/files/b076d1/q.JPG

If there wasn't an option to restore in your case, I agree that it should have one. It doesn't really matters if other products do this or not, the user should have the option to restore a deleted file because FPs can happen in ANY security software.
    No matter how solid a product is, it will have flaws, such as this case.
    However, I can say in my experience that NIS 2011 is one of the top 3 products available now. It went through a long testing and refinement process and it shows.

I'll PM you a link to NIS 2011. :argh:

PS: before someone comes after my head, see sig - I own both Kaspersky and Norton licenses.

17. steve1955

thanks for that:-not sure how it was detected/deleted by Norton,just got a frantic call telling me it had!Luckily the original file was on her old PC here at my house as it didn't qurantine it,completely deleted off PC,like I said though Norton is a relly nice product apart from,in my eyes,this oversight on their part re not letting user decisions

18. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I am sorry , I didn't mean to . I didn't understand you well . I wondered what did you mean with "+ve". Please , accept my apologies ! :thumb:

No , I am not on a commision for promiting Norton or something like that and I understand nothing and nobody is perfect as every software is created by humans and humans are imperfect.Please, don't come to such conclusions for me when you are not sure . Thank you in advance!

I tried to help you by asking you about threat name - you didn't answer. Threat name is important because generally high and medium risks are the ones that are deleted automatically .

19. steve1955

No probs re quote!(lol)
    I can't give threat name until my daughter gets back off her hols in a fortnight,its on her pc and she took her old one as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.