Norton CleanSweep Fast & Safe Cleanup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Stro, Jun 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stro

Stro Registered Member

I have NortonSystemWorks 2004 in which they have included their CleanSweep software. (I'm running WinXP Home Ed) CleanSweep has a "Fast and Safe Cleanup" button to rid the PC of unneeded files. The setting for "Fast and Safe Cleanup" shows check boxes to clean for Internet Cache, Internet History, Empty Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Lost Cluster Files.

I have two questions concerning Fast and Safe Cleanup (F&S)

1) Would anyone recommend that I get a windows clean-up program in addition to F&S? I've read favorable comments about the free Crap Cleaner (ccleaner.com, I believe), but will this program simply duplicate F&S?

As an aside, it's difficult to tell how well F&S has cleaned these files since Internet Cache and Internet History information are now stored in binary index.dat files which require a special program to view. Also, the Norton Protected Recycled Bin icon has replaced the standard Recycled Bin on my desktop, and I cannot see the contents of the Norton Recycled Bin, either, but that's the subject for another thread.

2) After I run F&S, I use Windows Explorer to go to the Temp folder which is now suppose to be cleaned, but lo and behold, .tmp files are still there! Can anyone tell me why?

I appreciate your help in wading deeper and deeper into this PC stuff!

Regards,
    Stro

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

As far as being a deep cleaner it is not but clean sweep does a pretty fair job and you don't have to worry about it removing things it shouldn't. I have had clean sweep for years and never had a problem except that it is a large program and takes a lot of space. About your temp files, make sure that you have the temp box checked in settings. Yours should look something like this

Attached Files:

3. Stro

Stro Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, bigc73542. Yes, I do have the Temp files box checked, along with all the other boxes itemized in the first paragraph of my initial post. For some reason, however, Fast and Safe Cleanup is not cleaning the .tmp files out of my Temporary folder.

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Stro, :)

The System Works you're using, is it Pro version? ... I ask cause I'm having a thought ... I'm using NSW 2003 Pro ... which includes Web Tools "Web Clean Up" if you're using the advance option for allowing/keeping cookies from specific web sites ... by default it also keeps the cache and history of those site's ... which you can de-select from the options menu of Web Tools. This option prevents Cleensweep from cleaning these entries.

dog - *puppy*

Edit - added pic

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2004
  5. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

No program that cleans out temp files will clean those that are currently in use (at the time of the cleaning action), at least not that I've run across.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.