Norton AV - updates released later on liveupdate?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by javacool, Feb 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I just looked at the newest bulletins on the Symantec Security Response website...

Here's an example: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha@mm.html

Take a look at the "Virus Definitions" section...

This seems rather odd to me...is Symantec releasing updates later on LiveUpdate? Clicking on the links on that page (on the highlighted Intelligent Updater and LiveUpdate terms) makes it seem like this is the new policy.

Or is Symantec now releasing updates "early" using the Intelligent Updater?

Quote from the description page:
    The page goes on...

I never was fond of how long it took Symantec to post updates - maybe this is some new policy? If so, do YOU think its good or bad?

Comments, opinions, more facts - anything is appreciated.  :)

Enjoy!  :D

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Re: Norton AV - updates released later on liveupda

my experiene with Norton's release speed was unfavorable. I will recount a tale of woe using NAV 2 years ago (isolated incedent maybe):

I have the latest defenitions of NAV, I am looking for a patch on the internet to do with a video game I had just purchased. Some people suggetsed that many of the places where you could download this file contained infected files. Well, I had Norton Anti-Virus so no worries right? I download the patch, scan it, no virus. Great! Wait....not so great, the file is infected, but it takes SIX MONTHS and who knows how many updates to finally dectect it!!! Unfortunately, I cannot remember what virus it was.

Now like I said, this was quite a while ago and things may have changed, but that is the nice thing about choice; if I don't like a product for any reason, I can drop it and never look back.

IMHO Symantic's products are are second rate, and not one of them stands out as a viable solution for anything. And I have tried more of them than most people have.

All their products seem to be targeted towards newbie users, and so have limited flexibility. Now newbies need security too, so perhaps that is fine for them, but few experienced users are going to get the benefits they desire. My personal opinion of course

3. javacool

I have never just trusted how well Norton can detect things (although the newest version, 2002, is much improved, and fares well in tests). I usually run either AVG Free and NOD32 along-side, or just NOD32.

However, I have not *yet* encountered a virus which Norton didn't pick up first...

If only some of the incredible *bloat* of the program could be removed...then I would be even more happy with Norton AV.

But until then, I will continue to run other anti-virus (and anti-trojan) solutions along-side.

4. sig

sig Registered Member

javacool:  in response to your original question, it doesn't appear to be a new policy to me.  I used NAV for years and my recollection is that new defs are first available on the websit for manual download and then loaded up on servers (I'm guessing that's the procedure) for LU download.  Most often the updates would available the same day for LU but occasionally would only appear via LU the next day, maybe 2 days at the most on rarer occasions.  I don't recall lags greater than that and I used to check via LU almost every day.  I imagine only those who check the site or forums for notices of updates are aware of any delay in the delivery.  And those who do are the savvy ones who can always pick up the latest onsite if they don't want to wait for LU.  

I'm using NOD32 now btw, so it's a moot issue for me.  :)

5. zappa

zappa Registered Member

Norton has done the job for me.  It has garnered 12 JS Exception Exploits, 7 W32Nimdamm, and 6 W32Nimda.enc.  

All the Nimda's came through IE and at the time I had never used IE.  Never sent one e mail or even opened Outlook.  So once I realized there was a large whole somewhere in IE I did all the updates and , knock on wood, no issues since.    I take part of that back, never used email or Outlook but did open IE to do updates at MS.  So, it was update and get Nimda as a bonus.  LOL.

Since this forum moved I have had to use IE as my browser to be able to view.   No problem, as I just have two browsers open most of the time.  

6. javacool

In response to the "only ever a 2 day lag, usually, at most"... here's a quote from the latest bulletin:

Virus Definitions (Intelligent Upda...efinitions (LiveUpdateTM): February 27, 2002

Although I, personally, do not have a problem with checking the site every day - it concerns me that the millions of computer users who rely just on Norton, and never bother to update on their own, are left vulnerable.

My question is - why, if the updates are released on Intelligent Updater, are they not immediately released on LiveUpdate also? Is it because they are put through extra quality testing?

7. Phoenix22

Phoenix22 Registered Member

It seems as though any version of NAV.....NAV4, NAV2001, NAV2002...........and others all receive the same v/d update via the Symantec site........am I correct in this assumption........
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download/pages/US-N95.html

8. javacool

From what I can tell, that is correct.

9. Phoenix22

Phoenix22 Registered Member

T-You Java............I've been readin' so much security lately my eyeballs are beginnin' to look like jabbawests avatar @ dslr..................that was my interpretation........just given er the old d/chk.....3's

10. Gino Ponti

Gino Ponti Guest

Answer to javacool post reply #5:
    I think to understand that we must download manually the NAV updates if we want to be really updated! See this forum post (and the link suggested from Mike Trathen [Symantec] ):

http://servicenews.symantec.com/cgi-bin/displayArticle.cgi?article=53938&group=symantec.support.network.nortonantivirus.corporateversion75&mini_version=nav%2D75%2Dce&product=nav&product_name=Norton+AntiVirus&tpre=biz&version_name=7.5+Corporate+Edition&

Hope to be useful
    Gino Ponti

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.